What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actions can't save opacity change

Ric27

I have recently moved up to CC2020 from CS5. I was always able to save a layer opacity change when making an action in cs5, but in 2020 I can't seem to make it happen.
Ric

it happened to me too I updated Photoshop to the latest version and now updated

Well I went back to see if there was any update for my version of PS 2020 and in that I had just downloaded it last week, it is up to date.

So my problem is that when I create an Action the layer, opacity change applied while recording the Action is not included in the Action

Hi Ric
It is quite possible that you have come across a bug. Sometimes those are OS dependent as well.
Most recent version of Photoshop 2020 is 21.1.1 Please verify and also let us know the OS version you are on.
This most recent version of Photoshop does have a bug in Windows associated with the opacity slider. If using a mouse, the opacity does not update until the mouse is released. I would not be surprised that some issue could carry over to recording Actions as well.
Also, I have noticed that with Mac systems, using the Catalina OS has had a huge number of bugs that have cropped up. Just a few months ago Actions would not record the settings of the Blend-If sliders.

You could always try and reset Photoshop and see if that helps yet I would also not be surprised that you have found a bug that needs to be reported. I have not upgraded to the most recent version because of either Mac OS nor with Photoshop. I am waiting for the bugs to settle out with both.

So I have not verified what workaround would work yet you could try:
0) reset Photoshop
1) Change the opacity by clicking on opacity and typing in a number instead of using mouse to slider (or visa versa)
2) Uninstall the most recent version of Photoshop and go back one interatiion
3) Use an action created on an earlier version of Photoshop
4) If none of those work or are viable and it turns out it is a bug waiting for a bug fix, there are often other ways to effectively create Layer transparency other than the opacity slider to sue in a pinch (eg Layer Mask with constant gray scale value)

Sorry I don't have a hard answer for you yet trying to provide some possible paths to consider

John Wheeler

OK I have figured out a work around.
To the right of the opacity window in the layers pallet in an down arrow, click it and a slider comes up, use the slider to set opacity. This step will record the layer opacity in he action.

Hi Ric
It is quite possible that you have come across a bug. Sometimes those are OS dependent as well.
Most recent version of Photoshop 2020 is 21.1.1 Please verify and also let us know the OS version you are on.
This most recent version of Photoshop does have a bug in Windows associated with the opacity slider. If using a mouse, the opacity does not update until the mouse is released. I would not be surprised that some issue could carry over to recording Actions as well.
Also, I have noticed that with Mac systems, using the Catalina OS has had a huge number of bugs that have cropped up. Just a few months ago Actions would not record the settings of the Blend-If sliders.

You could always try and reset Photoshop and see if that helps yet I would also not be surprised that you have found a bug that needs to be reported. I have not upgraded to the most recent version because of either Mac OS nor with Photoshop. I am waiting for the bugs to settle out with both.

So I have not verified what workaround would work yet you could try:
0) reset Photoshop
1) Change the opacity by clicking on opacity and typing in a number instead of using mouse to slider (or visa versa)
2) Uninstall the most recent version of Photoshop and go back one interatiion
3) Use an action created on an earlier version of Photoshop
4) If none of those work or are viable and it turns out it is a bug waiting for a bug fix, there are often other ways to effectively create Layer transparency other than the opacity slider to sue in a pinch (eg Layer Mask with constant gray scale value)

Sorry I don't have a hard answer for you yet trying to provide some possible paths to consider

John Wheeler
Thank you John, I had not yet seen your post before I found the work around. You did come up with the same answer I did, (using the slider) I am using Windows 10. I went form XP7 to win 10 and cs5 to cc2020 all in one step so there are some thing that just are not the same. I am happy to have found this forum.
Thanks again for the detailed response to my delema
thanks again

Back