What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't work out color replacement issue

WillT

Hi everyone,

I have just discovered this awesome forum so this is my first post :) I am by no means an expert at PS so please excuse me if my questions are a bit basic - I will always check the forum and online before resorting to ask the experts in my learning journey on CS5!

My issue is I have a panel that is a gradient background and I need to change the color from yellow to blue. I have successfully changed the solid color to 0072b9 in the top left using the Color Replacement tool, however cannot work out how to change the rest of the image.

The "swoosh" in the middle of the image seems to be a different layer perhaps? Every time I change it, it goes purple and changes the rest of the image. I wanted to fade out 0072b9. I tried to replace the more faded part towards the middle / bottom right to 5ACCFF which is getting lighter but it just dirties up.

I am sure there must be a simple answer and it is my newbieness causing this, but hoping someone can help me :)

Thanks!

WillView attachment bg_productsPage WIP.psd

Hi WillT, can you post an image of what your explaining, including a screen shot of the layers panel. I'm among many who prefer not to open a .psd from an unknown source.

Hi, sorry I did not think of that! Please find attached the images as requested.

Will

Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 2.18.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-08-29 at 2.18.01 PM.png

Maybe I don't understand your question, but may I ask why are you using the color replacement tool at all? Why don't you just make your own gradient and be done with it? Is the geometry that complex?

Tom M

Probably because I have never done a gradient and thought color replacement would be easier! I don't profess to be that good at PS!

BTW, even if the geometry is not a straight line, there are lots of other ways to do what I think you want. For example, one can make a layer mask to show the area where the colors should transition, and then effectively make your own gradient tool as shown below.

layer_stack.jpg

bg_productsPage_WIP-tjm01-01.jpg

If you aren't sure how to make the mask (and it's inverse), just ask.

Tom M

Thanks Tom,

I don't know how to make the mask / gradient but I am on a steep learning curve :) I will have a go at it and see how I go but may be coming to you for your advice if I fall flat on my face :)

Thanks again

Will

So if I wanted to make it fade to white like in the original yellow image, that can be done as well using layers? That is the effect I need rather than being all solid light blue in your image. I assume I can do that with a gradient and have another layer that is white and I can somehow fade the edges as it blends into white??

Probably the easiest way for you to learn is just to play with my psd file. To change the light blue layer to white, just double click in the light blue icon in the layer stack. Then you can adjust it to whatever color or tone you want.

T

Attachments

• bg_productsPage_WIP-tjm02.psd
    595.9 KB · Views: 6
Fantastic Tom thanks, I will have a play and see how I go! Really appreciate all your help :)

I am so tempted to buy a tablet to start using with PS as can see I am going to love this program, but guess I have to crawl before I can walk :)

Regards

Will

Really glad to have helped, if only a bit. Don't hesitate to come back with questions as you delve into it.

Tom

Back