What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Card template

JeffK

Guru
@IamSam - if this is saved as a jpg fille, how is it editable? Would it have to be opened in a vector based progam like Illustrator?
I don't have AI so just curious about it.
- Jeff

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
if this is saved as a jpg fille, how is it editable? Would it have to be opened in a vector based progam like Illustrator?
It's not editable as a JPG.

Everything is editable!!!!!! If you want something changed, let me know.
When I said that everything was editable, I was stating that I could make any edits/changes to my PSD file to suite the needs of the OP. I was not saying that the image I uploaded was editable. Sorry for any confusion.

JeffK

Guru
It's not editable as a JPG.
When I said that everything was editable, I was stating that I could make any edits/changes to my PSD file to suite the needs of the OP. I was not saying that the image I uploaded was editable. Sorry for any confusion.
OK - makes sense. Where I got lost was that the OP requested a vector file but the only images I saw posted were jpg and png. I did dig in and found that you can create vectors in PS with some limitations.
Thanks for the followup. Sam
- Jeff

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Where I got lost was that the OP requested a vector file
I'm not certain that the correct wording was used by the OP. The term template is ambiguous. I understood the OP was asking to convert the supplied example image into a high quality vector image. I don't think they were asking for a file.

I did dig in and found that you can create vectors in PS with some limitations.
Correct. Photoshop can't create true vector images. Photoshop does have so called vector tools (Shape & Pen Tools) and can save some vector content in some formats (psd, pdf, eps). However, Photoshop can never create a true vector file because it creates vector containers with raster content which is different than a vector container with a vector content created in other programs like Ai. In Ps, the issue is really prominent when you add gradients or brush work to a vector shape. The gradient would be raster content and will not scale.

JeffK

Guru
I'm not certain that the correct wording was used by the OP. The term template is ambiguous. .

Yep - I did interpret it as providing a file that the OP could control since the term "template" usually has some specs assigned to it, ie, dimensions, colors, etc. Some of my old training kicked in.

Correct. Photoshop can't create true vector images. Photoshop does have so called vector tools (Shape & Pen Tools) and can save some vector content in some formats (psd, pdf, eps). However, Photoshop can never create a true vector file because it creates vector containers with raster content which is different than a vector container with a vector content created in other programs like Ai. In Ps, the issue is really prominent when you add gradients or brush work to a vector shape. The gradient would be raster content and will not scale.

I do appreciate the added details and explanation. Vector container and vector content as opposed to vector container and raster content is a clear metaphor for what's possible in PS.
Thanks again!

- Jeff