What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

census data and batch export to file with each layer sent to a canvas of that size.

It has been a while since I was here last asking for help on map alterations. I have a new problem. I have collected many (over 100k) screeenshots of census data. In the interest of not using the actual captures (intelectual property restrictions), I have extracted the data alone to a new multi layered file with each address as its own layer. Some have 1 person, some have 200 people. Can I export each layer to file in such a way that the canvas will not be the 75 inch canvas in the parent image? I needed to use such a large transparent background because population density is very high. Is ther an autodetect feature? Dave

colleague

Guru

Tom Mann

Guru
Re: census data and batch export to file with each layer sent to a canvas of that siz

We would be happy to try to help you, but your explanation assumes we all know what you mean when you say, "screenshots of census data". The US Census puts out a huge number of different data products, so I can envision your screenshots could be anything from pure text to purely graphical to mixed (see attached examples).

I understand that there is a need for privacy, but for us to help you, I think it's almost essential that you post an image that illustrates your problem. Just black out private info.

Tom M

Attachments

• 2013-05-03_120259-screen_shot-tabular_census_data.jpg
    2013-05-03_120259-screen_shot-tabular_census_data.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-05-03_120531-sample_survey.jpg
    2013-05-03_120531-sample_survey.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-05-03_120901-screen_shot-movement.jpg
    2013-05-03_120901-screen_shot-movement.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 18

Tom Mann

Guru
Re: census data and batch export to file with each layer sent to a canvas of that siz

PS - Perhaps your answer to the above question will provide the answer, but it seems like you are attempting to use Photoshop layers as a database. If I am correct in my guess, may I ask why? There are numerous database applications specifically designed for either text, image, or mixed content. This is not what Photoshop is designed to do.

T

Tom Mann

Guru

Ahh ... I just looked up your single previous thread in this forum.

In the first post in this thread, you state, "I have a new problem". However, is your current question somehow related to the same map(s) described in your previous thread?

The best we can do at this point is guess at what you really need.

Tom

I will try this method soon. I am ill at the moment. I am sorry for not being clearer on the data. Here is a sample. Many thanks.

and extracted portion.

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

No Tom this is an unrelated issue. The advice given then was spot on and the maps were tedious but did work. Sadly the data is incomplete owing to the Public Record office being bombed in WWII. This is why I am now going for an address specific accounting. On a street with 50 structures in 1894, I may have data for none or all but mostly around 30 of them.

I am using CS4. My dialog box is different and allows me to assign a prefix but does not offer the option of using layer name.

No sir. I have to extract a piece of many screenshots and combine them to a single image for an address. There are usually multiple forms for a single address. I am using a nineteenth century overlay in google earth to geo reference the tally of who was there with a physical location. The original intent ( with the first thread) was a density map. The state of census returns makes this impossible. I intend to use picasa as the database by tagging each photo with surnames and occupations. I am using photoshop to tally all forms from a single address into a single image.

sample 2 jpg.jpgHere is the sample with what i am removing.

Last edited:

Brilliant! Thank You so much!

Tom Mann

Guru

Dear ProtoHistorian -

I'm sorry to hear that you are ill.

With respect to your census task, if I understand it correctly, you need to extract the information within the red box that you drew on one of the census forms that you posted.

Since this is text information, may I ask why you didn't simply feed that portion of each jpg into an OCR program and convert it to text instead of keeping it in image form?

For example, I cropped your image (see 1st attachment), fed it into a free 10 year old OCR program that I happened to have laying around, saved the output as a text file (also attached), and then imported that text file into an Excel spreadsheet for easy searching, editing, sorting, and other manipulations, export to real database programs, etc.. This entire process probably took me a minute or two, and that is in spite of not having used that OCR program in a decade.

I hope this has given you some ideas about other possible approaches that would seem to be vastly more efficient and flexible than saving everything as an image.

Sincerely,

Tom M

Attachments

• sample_2_jpg-tjm01_cropped.jpg
    sample_2_jpg-tjm01_cropped.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Excel_screen_shot.jpg
    Excel_screen_shot.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 7

Ummmmmmm.......because I am stoopid? I will explore that option. Here is a link to a picasaweb album I did earlier as a test. The end goal is to fix a set of historical events into a spatial context. I will go to sourceforge to find a free ocr program. Thanks for the heads up. http://goo.gl/xqyCS

Tom Mann

Guru

You aren't stupid. Just like I've done in the past, it's incredibly easy to get going in one direction and forget to occasionally look at the forest, not the trees. :)

Best of luck with it.

Cheers,

Tom

PS - your link didn't work.

Tom Mann

Guru

PPS - Don't worry about the OCR errors. I fed a very low rez version of your image into my OCR program. If I had started with a higher rez version, I'm sure most of the errors would go away.

PS #3 - Another thought: Are you absolutely positive that the source of your data doesn't simply have an option to output the info as plain text, csv or other file formats. Most census bureaus do have this option -- you just have to look for it.

T

I am sure sir. I surely asked. In a way though I need the photo element because it is what picasa wants to fix to a geographic location. I am probably whipping a dead horse here, but I learn visually, and it is easier for me to move along a satellite image opening photos as I need to. The density has been a real shocker for me. There are more people in the distance from my home to the public library than in my whole town.