What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge #20

This week is all about creating an image from scratch using the basic brushes and nothing else. It is far too easy if you want an image of something, to go onto Google, and use that in some way.

Well not this week!

Let your imagination run wild and just try to create a realistic image of what ever you like. It could be a car, a flower, or even your own face. I'm not going to give any links to tutorials, because all you need is the basic brushes and an idea.

Just to show you the kind of thing I'm going for:-
View attachment 10770
Not perfect I know, but here is with somebody who took a bit more time than me- CLICK HERE!

I'm not saying that you can't look at another image to get reference on the shape or texture or anything, just don't trace, copy or paste it in.

Make your own masterpiece!

Good Look.:mrgreen:

Sounds challenging. So what you are saying is "paint a picture?" By basic brushes, do you mean the default brushes (can I even remember what those are) ?

So your after us to do speed paintings without the speed hopefully, also like Clare as asked can we use plug ins or just the standard photoshop tool kit?

This challenge requires that a person can draw/paint so that could discourage a lot of folk. But maybe encourage others. It will be interesting to see.

I can give it a try, I'm not good on the realism side however.

Quick note
Judging by the lack of participations (no offence) these days, I would suggest to whoever organizes the challenges to give them a six week break before going on to Challenge #21 people may gain more interest and anticipation may build as to what is next in the challenges. just a friendly suggestion...

attempt #2
drawngirl1.jpg

edit: worked on it a little more. Added some more shading, flattened all the skin layers & texturized them (sandstone), added a gradient to the hair, and softened it a bit. I also removed the darker color of the lips, I think it looks better that way
drawngirl2.jpg

Last edited:
nice efforts pebbiez. The face is developing nicely. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this but it will be fun to try at some point. Bravo for you being the first to post!

Why not Clare you being a old cartoonist and all? Old as in expert/knowledgeable.

I can give it a try, I'm not good on the realism side however.

Quick note
Judging by the lack of participations (no offence) these days, I would suggest to whoever organizes the challenges to give them a six week break before going on to Challenge #21 people may gain more interest and anticipation may build as to what is next in the challenges. just a friendly suggestion...

No one person 'runs' the challenges here, they run off there own steam created by the challenge setters, people take part if they so wish - but thanks for idea anyway.

No plug-ins or anything, just like ibclare said, the default brushes only.

I know that this is quite difficult, but I think that it is important that people at least have a go to create something completely from their own imagination. It doesn't have to be a person either, so somebody could choose to do something relatively easy like a house, just as long as they try to get it looking a real as they can. It is good practice for doing textures, putting shadows in the right place and scale. Not everyone is Rembrandt, but everyone has an imagination.

Give it a go, you might shock your self.

No plug-ins or anything, just like ibclare said, the default brushes only.

I know that this is quite difficult, but I think that it is important that people at least have a go to create something completely from their own imagination. It doesn't have to be a person either, so somebody could choose to do something relatively easy like a house, just as long as they try to get it looking a real as they can. It is good practice for doing textures, putting shadows in the right place and scale. Not everyone is Rembrandt, but everyone has an imagination.

Give it a go, you might shock your self.

Ah crap, does that mean no filters (blur, liquify, texture, etc) too?

I know its not realistic but it is all hand painted from scratch... My first attempt at an Anime head. Took way longer than I thought it would and who would of believed hair would be sooo difficult! I now have a new appreciation for some of the art I see on the web.

BlondeAnimeHeadInk.jpg

webwize

Back