What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge#67: Blending

Challenge #67: Blending

• MentosCubing

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • chrisdesign

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Eggy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ZeroCool22

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • King_Creations

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Polarwoc

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Argos

Guru
Hi, I've been a little busy lately and totally forgot to think of a challenge, so I had to fast think one today, sorry about that.

The challenge is to blend the guy on the bench in the other picture. I intentionally pick no good match pictures, so it's essential to play with light and shadows, I also choose a bench with different options, with sunlight, shadow or in the middle (hardest one XD)

Vitoria_-_Banco_Parque_Florida_01.jpgW875804969000.jpg

Cheers!

SUBMISSIONS

MentosCubing
composite boi on benchhh.png

Chrisdesign
Vitoria_-_Banco_Parque_Florida_01 chrisdesign+.jpg

Eggy
PSG Challenge #67.jpg

ZeroCool22
challenge-fixed-jpg.94340

King_Creations
man-dog-final-jpg.94408

polarwoc
1544-after-vitoria_-_banco_parque_florida_01-jpg.94439

Last edited by a moderator:

MentosCubing

Power User
Wow! That was hard. But also really fun!
I don't know what the standard/conventional method is for making shadows, so I tried several different things I've figured out over time. Some of the shadows are exposure adjustment layers, some of them are brightness/contrast adjustment layers, some of them are highlight/shadow adjustment layers, and a couple are just copy-pasted sections of ground that already had a shadow on it. I also adjusted the white balance of the man a bit, but that bit was far easier. I tried to modify the background as little as possible (besides shadows of course) and make changes only to the guy, so a difference key can be easily run if I ever feel like looking back on this.
I don't know if I exported because I thought it was actually a good finished composite or because I just gave up at that point, but I think it turned out decently. My dad couldn't tell what I'd done with PS, so I guess it's realistic enough for the untrained eye :p
This is actually one of my favorite challenges I've participated in! Good on you, @Argos!
composite boi on benchhh.png
I wonder how this would look with a depth-of-field blur behind him. Maybe another challenger can experiment with that. (Challenger? Contestant? Competitor? What do you call them?)

Argos

Guru
Nice Job MentosCubing! Glad you enjoy the challenge! I love trying to figure it out light and shadow in every composite I do. It's always almost impossible to do it perfectly (at least for me) it's always something I see or know it's not quite right but can figure it out. My personal kryptonite is recreating hard light shadowing hahaha.

Cheers!

MentosCubing

Power User
Haha, nice composite! I wish I'd thought of that before trying to make all those shadows on the ground.
I saw that drink can and though "oh, that had better not be Sprite Cranberry." But it's Coke Zero, so I can leave you in peace. :D

Argos

Guru
Good one Eggy! I did a try (got obsessed XD) yesterday with my own challenge and it was harder than I expected when I selected the images, I went similar to yours and trying to recreate the shadowing was crazy... that white shirt was a nightmare (I did not get it) XD.

I'm not going to post it, but I just going to say that the psd is+6GB and more than 500 layers of caos and I'm still not happy:laugh:.

Let see if more people do it to see more ideas or techniques to do it.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Yep, that white shirt isn't a gift...
Hard to get shadows in it facing full sun.

Last edited:

Argos

Guru
I forgot to say that after trying it myself I really like what you did with the shadowing on the shirt Chris!

Argos

Guru
Nice Zerocool! I have a theory about you, that you are always using sunglasses and that's how you see the world.:roflmao:;)

polarwoc

Guru
Normally, I try to clear the face and body of any shadows. Here, I had to add some leaves/branches shadows on face, body and the background to try and make it look natural. It was an extremely interesting challenge. There is lots to be done, but time constraints leave me with what it is in the submission below.
1544-After-Vitoria_-_Banco_Parque_Florida_01.jpg

polarwoc

Guru
Good one Eggy! I did a try (got obsessed XD) yesterday with my own challenge and it was harder than I expected when I selected the images, I went similar to yours and trying to recreate the shadowing was crazy... that white shirt was a nightmare (I did not get it) XD.

I'm not going to post it, but I just going to say that the psd is+6GB and more than 500 layers of caos and I'm still not happy:laugh:.

Let see if more people do it to see more ideas or techniques to do it.
@Argos I would love to see your work on this. Maybe you could post your work after the submissions are closed?

Argos

Guru
Nice one Polarwoc! haha I spent a good amount of time trying what you did with the shadows of the three on the model, I even downloaded plenty of photos with this type of shadow on the ground, but couldn't make it work or at least I didn't like how it looks so i didn't put it at the end., but I like that you think about it too ^^

Sure I post it, today it's the last day anyway ^^.

I tried to add all the shadow I can think, but it's just too many and knowing that the shadows would have to be hard instead of soft... but I just can't deal with hard shadows XD and less at this lvl. Also, I did the stupid think of no mirroring the model so i had to change all the light on his face.....
Vitoria_-_Banco_Parque_Florida_01ffff.jpg

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.