What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge - Metallic wolf

Moth

Power User
I want to thank ooptea for the idea and the image for this challenge.

The challenge is to make the wolf appear to be made of shiny metal. It can be gold, silver, copper, nickel, chrome, whatever... as long as it is shiny and reflective.

Participants can view the original thread for some sugestions.
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6657

Good luck and have fun!

theKeeper

Guru
Nice challenge Moth. :perfect:

I'd like to offer up a word of advice for this one if i may...

If you intend on adding reflection to the wolfe, then you'll need to blur/smoothen the fur almost completely. If the fur is left as-is (spikey looking) then there would not be a clear-cut reflection seen on that surface. But rather, the reflection would then be extremely complex and busy looking. So much so that you wouldn't even have to really try to create a realistic reflection. It would be so 'random' looking you wouldn't need to give off any specific type of reflection detail.

;)

Have fun!

kiwi

Guru
Ooh ya great one Moth :perfect:

Color balance adjustment layer,new layer 50% grey {set to overlay} lots of dodging,some burning and copious amounts of airbrushing :)

Personally I think apart from custom curve settings etc that,the dodge tool set to hgh lights does about the best job of creating metal to work with jmo

Stu.

Moth

Power User
'd like to offer up a word of advice for this one if i may...
Your advice is always welcome, theKeeper

Kiwi, nice one. :}

Here's my try using hue/saturation, curves, diffusion, and find edges. I aso tried to make a reflection map with displace but not sure if it works. The displacement map was tough.

Welles

Guru
OK here's my attempt to do a chrome wolf. It was a pain in the neck! There's no way I could replicate the steps involved as I kept puttering with this darned image for a couple of hours. At some point the chrome filter was used, as were levels, curves, a couple of displacement maps, a manufactured reflection map, two zillion layers with masks and blend modes etc. Sheesh. [confused]

ooptea

welles that looks awesome but my first thought is a water wolf. either way its still awesome

Tigron

My contribution

wolf4gf.jpg

Moth

Power User
Nice ones, Welles and Tigron.

OK here's my attempt to do a chrome wolf. It was a pain in the neck!

You said it. This is way tougher than it looks. However, it good to have something challenging. That's why its called a challenge. :D

I agree with the assessment that it looks like water. Still, way cool. :}

Tigron, you've got a good beginning but the fur is making your wolf look too spikey. Look at some of theKeeper's suggestions above.

ooptea

ok well he is my wolf so i thought id give it another go i increased the blur and really played with the curves

ronmatt

Guru
metal dog

An entry..