What's new

Challenge Yes or No?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think this is more of a question for the forum members and not a decision for the staff.

The lack of interest and participation in the challenges has been evident. Let's take a 24 hour period to see if we can get some opinions from the active and core members of this forum, as to whether or not they think the challenges should proceed.

For me, is a yes, I like the challenges! It's true that sometimes gets too low of participation, maybe a post with ideas of members to make it more interesting and to get an idea of what people would like the challenges to be. I don't know XD.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks David.

No more opinions from anyone else?

edit: I did see the posts from LacyKeo and sousou707 in the last challenge thread. It's not enough to just want the challenges to continue because you enjoy the content.....................the idea is for you guys to participate. We seem to have the same people in the challenges month after month. I completely understand that they can't always find the time to make entries. But I can also understand if they become somewhat discouraged at the lack of interest and participation.

sousou707, your very active in the "free edits" so I'm not sure why you're not willing to participate.

LacyKeo, Don't compare your work with others and do your very best. Competing will help you get better! Variety is key.

sousou707

I’m willing to participate to the next challenges. Sometimes I’m very busy with schoolwork so I only do little free requests during my breaks, but I will participate to the next challenges if there is more.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well.................I think the underwhelming response to this thread reflects the opinions of the forum members. This is a sad time for the forum.

My feelings about the challenges aren’t fully rational, but they go something like this: Sometimes the topic just doesn’t spark my interest and other times I can’t think of anything clever or creative to submit. But mostly, the challenges subconsciously seem like work to me, as in obligation. They are an assignment with a due date and follow-up requirements (voting, creating the next challenge if I win this one). I already have a stressful day job and Photoshop is a hobby that lets me escape all that, so I instinctively stay away from the challenges because I already have a full plate of things that I must do. Like I said, this is not a fully rational way to think, but there it is.

LaceyKeo

Maybe instead of “challenges”, it could become an “inspiration” thing, instead?

I don’t know, I haven’t thought it through, and you guys have a much better understanding of how the forum works as I am something of a casual visitor...

Somewhere people post like, “Hey, I’d love to see your take on Cyborgs. Here’s a demo piece (pic), let’s see what you’ve got”.

People could browse the “inspiration”... area... (thread? Sub-forum?) and submit to whatever they like...?

It would be such a shame to see this area closed, perhaps it could just get a re-vamp instead?

Thank you Sam. Should contests continue, in some form or other, I shall do my best to enter.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe instead of “challenges”, it could become an “inspiration” thing, instead?
That would be something all together different than what we are trying to address here. Thanks though.

Somewhere people post like, “Hey, I’d love to see your take on Cyborgs. Here’s a demo piece (pic), let’s see what you’ve got”.
That can be posted at anytime..............again, not what we are trying to address.

It would be such a shame to see this area closed, perhaps it could just get a re-vamp instead?
The challenges have gone through many re-vamps over the years and nothing ever helps in getting members to participate. There's nothing wrong in how the challenge was set up............it was fairly straight forward. The problem was drawing interest away from other aspects of the forum. The latest version of challenges, lasted the longest. If anyone has any ideas that have not been attempted in the past, then please speak up.

Should contests continue,
This is not up to me. This is a decision made by the current membership.

I shall do my best to enter.
Yes, this has been the ongoing problem.

Although I've only recently joined, and I interested in the challenges - I too just need to find the time. Are the contests happening on a regular basis? Or is there some consistency that I can plan a my schedule around?

LaceyKeo

If you're interested in the challenges, just check out the appropriate thread. There used to be one challenge every month.
And in case you'll have some new ideas don't hesitate to present them here.
New challenge ideas?

I had (what I hoped was) a decent one, should I post it here?