What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change Black Colour (Fabric)

skirt.jpg

this is what i came up with... its still look a lil bit unnatural dont u think? how to reduce the noise or maybe the texture to make it like a plain smooth silk?

@d_animality:

a) You would have saved us a lot of time if you had simply stated exactly what you wanted (ie, your final goal) right at the beginning of this thread; AND,

b) You had supplied us with unedited images straight from the camera. Yes, if necessary, you can black out the subject's face, but you should never black out areas that we need to work on. Yet, it appears that just like when we were talking about changing the color of the hat, you once again (in your skirt.psd file) blacked out an area (this time, the skirt) that contained information that would have allowed us to help you more easily. The degree of darkness in the skirt in that file strongly suggests that it was not due to insufficient lighting in that area, but rather, you intentionally darkened it in PS.

c) I also recommend that when someone trying to help you asks you questions (like I did), you carefully answer each and every question asked, not ignore them and respond with other information that is only partially related to the questions that were asked.

IN THE FUTURE, IF YOU WANT HELP FROM ME or anyone else, I strongly suggest that you present all the information, at once, and in a straightforward manner. For example, you shouldn't have first said that you were only interested in the color of the hat, and then change it to being interested in the color of the skirt. Another example is that we should not have to overcome your own editing of the image (ie, blackening parts of the image that you want help on).

Don't forget that we don't have to help you. We do this in our spare time to help others, and if they don't cooperate fully, you won't get the help you are asking for. I know that I, for one, will be much less inclined to help you in the future if I sense you are doing this again.

Finally, for what it's worth, I Googled "pink sari", found numerous hits, exactly like I did when you led us to believe you were only interested in the color of the hat. I was easily able to incorporate that and come up with the following image. It could be easily improved by choice of a more appropriate fabric (I was forced to guess), warping the lines of the fabric to match the position of the legs underneath, improving the edge masking, etc. However, given the amount of time I have already spend on this thread, I'm going to stop at this point.

Tom M

Attachments

• skirt-ps02a_sRGB_698px_hi_8bpc-01.jpg
    skirt-ps02a_sRGB_698px_hi_8bpc-01.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
@d_animality:

a) You would have saved us a lot of time if you had simply stated exactly what you wanted (ie, your final goal) right at the beginning of this thread; AND,

b) You had supplied us with unedited images straight from the camera. Yes, if necessary, you can black out the subject's face, but you should never black out areas that we need to work on. Yet, it appears that just like when we were talking about changing the color of the hat, you once again (in your skirt.psd file) blacked out an area (this time, the skirt) that contained information that would have allowed us to help you more easily. The degree of darkness in the skirt in that file strongly suggests that it was not due to insufficient lighting in that area, but rather, you intentionally darkened it in PS.

c) I also recommend that when someone trying to help you asks you questions (like I did), you carefully answer each and every question asked, not ignore them and respond with other information that is only partially related to the questions that were asked.

IN THE FUTURE, IF YOU WANT HELP FROM ME or anyone else, I strongly suggest that you present all the information, at once, and in a straightforward manner. For example, you shouldn't have first said that you were only interested in the color of the hat, and then change it to being interested in the color of the skirt. Another example is that we should not have to overcome your own editing of the image (ie, blackening parts of the image that you want help on).

Don't forget that we don't have to help you. We do this in our spare time to help others, and if they don't cooperate fully, you won't get the help you are asking for. I know that I, for one, will be much less inclined to help you in the future if I sense you are doing this again.

Finally, for what it's worth, I Googled "pink sari", found numerous hits, exactly like I did when you led us to believe you were only interested in the color of the hat. I was easily able to incorporate that and come up with the following image. It could be easily improved by choice of a more appropriate fabric (I was forced to guess), warping the lines of the fabric to match the position of the legs underneath, improving the edge masking, etc. However, given the amount of time I have already spend on this thread, I'm going to stop at this point.

Tom M

Ok first of all i would like to apologize for troubling you all and wasting your time answering my questions or helping me out...

basically the reason why i posted the "hat" because i thought the method that is going to be used will be using hue/saturation (because this is what i expected, using hue/saturation, not replace with the same material but diff colour) .... so once it can be applied to the black hat, the same method can also be applied to the skirt...

and regarding intentionally darkening the skirt... the original picture is dark... so i increase the brightness and contrast only... i guess if that is what u mean

and finally, i learned a lot of skills/technique from this forum which makes me understand PS very well... Ive googled/youtube lots of ways reagrding this to no avail... that is the reason i came back and ask for more help since this forum helped me before... didnt expect it to cause more troubles than solutions to you guys... anyway, i thank you for all the contribution and suggestions as well as ideas that have been given in solving this matter...

and im very sorry if i offend any of u guys..

Dear d_animality, there is absolutely no need to apologize. My suggestions were only meant to help you when you post questions in the future.

Perhaps an analogy would help explain what I am trying to get across: Suppose someone has a strange looking skin growth under their shirt. They are worried about it, so they go to the hospital.

The patient tells the doctors that the reason they came to the hospital is because of a little growth on the back of their hand. This is analogous to the 1st line in your first post: "Hi... please teach me how to change this black hat into other colours?"

The patient gives the wrong information because the patient (incorrectly) feels that the two growths are the same sort of thing and "knows" that the doctor will use the same technique on both, so they will just ask about the smaller growth and save the doctors some time.

Even worse, when the doctors look at the back of their hand, they can't tell what's going on because the patient has taken a black marker and darkened that growth (ie, painted over it or increased the contrast so dark things got even darker). The doctors spend time trying to see the small growth on the back of the hand, and fix it with minor surgery.

The doctors suspect something is not right. Some of the doctors accuse the patient of coming to the hospital for no good reason. One of the other doctors keeps asking the patient a series of short, very direct, very clear questions to try to get to the bottom of the mystery.

The patient never answers the questions directly. This goes on for a while and then, finally, the patient confesses that the real reason they came to the hospital is because there is another growth under the patient's shirt. That growth turns out to be of a different kind and requires different techniques from what the patient had assumed would be used. The doctors are not mad, but they advise the patient to always give a full and complete medical history.

Best regards,

Tom

Last edited:

Back