What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change default color of desktop in PS7

nitrobutler

Power User
I'm using Win2k pro.
I would like to change the default color (dark gray) of the PS7 desktop. Is there a way?

As far as I am aware you cannot change the default color of Photoshop's worksurface.

I don't know about the desktop, but you can change the color of the canvas. Example, if your document window is larger than the image you are working with you have a dark gray area around the canvas. Shift Clicking on that area with with the Paint Bucket tool will change it to your desired color. (PS7, WinXPPro)

Here's a screenshot that should make it clearer what I was trying to say:

thanks guys, I thought it might not be possible. I'll go Bigclouds route and colorize the canvas.

YES YOU CAN!!! W00H00!!!

Sorry I get a little excited sometimes when I can actually answer a question instead asking all the time.
BTW new to this forum. I've been reading on it for months but haven't posted. This is definitly my favorite PS forum. :perfect:
You can in fact change the color of both windows in PS. Here's how:
While shift clicking with the paint bucket changes the palette. Changing the application background in display properties will change Photoshops background too.
1) Right click anywhere on your desktop and select "Properties". (You can also go to Display Properties in the Control Panel.)
2) Select the "Appearance" tab.
3) In the 'Item' field choose "Application Background"
4) Then choose a color on the right.

Here are two screenshots of what I mean. Funny, I can't figure out how to paste them directly like everybody else. Oh well, hope this helps!
steve r.

Hey I can paste it. Yay!

Affecting other programs...

Yes it will but I think you'll find that you may never see it in anything but Photoshop. In all my programs the only other one that I noticed was Lotus notes, and that was only during login (the background behind the password menu was black).
If it is a problem you can always change.
I would think that there is a way to tell Windows that when PS is running, change the background application to black. I'm gonna see if I can find it. 3[

rare twinkieWelcome to the forum and thanks for shareing. :)

Welcome Rare Twinkie - glad someone was able to lure you out into the open ;)

Wow, thanks for the tip about filling the canvas, and also how to change application backgrounds...I did not know that PS could change the canvas background! Very helpful everyone!

:} :} :} :} :} :} :}

Awesome tip, rare twinkie :perfect: (slaps himself in the head, 'Now why didn't I think of that?')

Back