What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change from landscape to portrait. Edges need work (was: I need Photoshop Help pls)

AcidReign81

Hi, I would love to have this Picture in Portrait Format but because the woman is flying in Landscape there is floor and flying glass pieces missing if I crop to Portrait-Format. So maybe you can clone the floor and the glass so it looks good?
I would love to have dimensions like 6000px(high) x 4000px(wide)
Can someone help?

Thank you a lot already in advance.

Acid

http://imgur.com/a/GgoJH

Tom Mann

Guru
It sounds like you want someone to do the work for you (vs. learning how to do it yourself), so I am moving this thread to our free-photoshop-requests forum.

Sincerely,

Tom M

PS - I am also going to make the title of the thread more descriptive.

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
Re: Change from landscape to portrait. Edges need work (was: I need Photoshop Help pl

I'm not sure if I'm capable of doing it well, but I like the challenge and will give it a try. Before I dive in, I need to clarify a few things about what you want. You say you would like this to be 6,000px high x 4,000px wide. The image is already 4,000 wide right now, so does that mean you only want to add to the height? If so, then the choices would be image1, image2 or image3 below. Or... if you are willing to crop the sides and enlarge the woman, there will be less new height that needs to be created, similar to image 4. Please let me know which of these is what you have in mind.

Float.jpg

AcidReign81

Re: Change from landscape to portrait. Edges need work (was: I need Photoshop Help pl

Hey,

thanks a lot for your reply and that you are willing to try.
My goal would be version 4. and cropping some left and right space is fine to minimize the part you have to add on top and bottom.
I tried solving it by myself. Will post the result tomorow. But I am not satisfied with myself.

Greets

Acid

Rich54

Guru

Turned out to be easier than I first thought. This website doesn't allow uploads of anything larger than 3,500 px on a side, so this version is shrunk to half the size you asked for. If you send me a private message with your email address I will send you the larger version.

Rich

Float2.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru

Rich, just zip the file. Doing so won't compress it much, but it will confuse the forum software into not recognizing the pixel dimensions, so that if the file size is reasonable it will be accepted.

Tom M

Rich54

Guru

Ok, here's the full-size version as a compressed zip file. I also made a slight tweak to the shadow on the floor in the foreground.

View attachment Float.zip

AcidReign81

Wow! Amazing Work.
How did you do it? I tried with the cloning tool, but my try is not nearly as good as yours...

http://imgur.com/a/J5F8B

Rich54

Guru

How did you do it? I tried with the cloning tool, but my try is not nearly as good as yours...

I think yours is pretty good for the top portion with all the glass. For me, the floor turned out to be the easiest part. Here's what I did:
1. Copy as much of the floor below the woman as possible and paste into a new layer (image 1 below).
2. Click on Edit>Transform>Flip Verticle. Move the flipped image down until its top edge just touches the bottom edge of the original photo. Use Edit>Transform>Scale to stretch the bottom all the way down. (Image 2 below)
3. Click on Edit>Transform>Perspective and widen the bottom of the new layer until the perspective matches the original floor (image 3).
4. Apply curves and gradients to the new area to get the shadows to blend smoothly.
5. Use the Spot Healing tool to eliminate any particular spots where it is obviously copied from the original area. (My final version could use a bit more of this.)

Float2.jpg

I did essentially the same procedure for the top half of the image, but the 'perspective' step was not needed. The problem up top is that the new layer---after the verticle flip---is very obviously a mirror-image reflection because of the glass shards. I initially tried to fix this with the clone stamp, but had better results with the Patch Healing tool, which I used to grab random bits of glass from elsewhere to eliminate any obvious mirror-image areas.

MrToM

Guru

Nicely done!

...the floor turned out to be the easiest part...
I tackled this with 'Vanishing Point'...

floater_MT_01.png

Quick and dirty but a good image on which to use this tool.

Regards.
MrToM.

Rich54

Guru

I never really noticed that Vanishing Point even existed! I'll have to read-up on that to see how it works.

MrToM

Guru

Yeah its pretty useful especially for images like this that have a definite 'Vanishing Point'.

Its also good for anything with perspective really, even pictures hanging on a wall, road signs, fences, table tops... etc etc.

Not only can you paste part of the original in a 'perspective' manner, and move it around too, but you can also 'Clone Stamp' in perspective....very handy.

Lots of features.

'Phlearn' has covered it if you are familiar with them.

Regards.
MrToM.