What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

changing color profiles

bydesign_mgd

Does anyone know how to change a color setting for a specific type of working project. Example would be working in Web graphics I would want the standard web setting. If I'm doing print, I would want the print setting. The only way I know to do this is to go to edit/color settings/ and change it that way. Is there a function like changing workspace, or maybe set a function key that can automatically change this on the fly. If not no biggy, just wanted to be able to automate faster than using a menu.

Thanks,

MGD

Hi MGD

Have you tried writing an action?. Sometimes they are handy for rote work. They are easy to do, similiar to making a tape for your recorder.
J

Erik

Guru
Hazard? Coincidence? I just replied to this in another thread...[confused]

What you can do (what I do) is set my standard view to Adobe RGB workspace. This is larger than the sRGB for monitor viewing and the web so the difference with CMYK is less apparant. Then I set my proof setup to Windows monitor (View menu) and when I want to do something for the Internet, I press Ctrl (or Cmd if you're a Scot) and Y. This changes my view immediately to WindowsMonitor and I see my beautiful colours fade away...

BUT: I can always open a duplicate, place both one beside the other and start tweaking with saturation etc etc...

bydesign_mgd

Thanks!

This actually will work for me. I'm not sure if actions would handle something like this. You know, since Adobe included having multiple workspaces, it would be nice to be able to jump to the one you need readily. I guess that may be in 7.5 or 8.0.

Thanks again guys!

Good Photoshoping!

MGD

Erik

Guru
But multiple interfaces are possible in PS7!

Just try Window>Workspace...didn('t try it myself, so I can't guarantee that you can set all your preferences.

bydesign_mgd

Workspace

Actually I was wrong in my statement, you can save multiple interfaces, however, not everything is can change based on workspace. Such as color settings.

I'm constantly going from web to print and vice versa. So it would be nice to have an interface and settings according to user needs. What do you think? I may be asking for too much.

MGD

ApWizard

HI!

In order to change the color profile i think u have to change the temperature of the white point of your monitor...

so if u use a pc in adobe gamma set up 3 different profile:

1-for printing
2-for web
3-generical

for printing use 6500?k

for web use 9300?k

and to change profile do this:

1)open adobe gamma and load your profile (ie:printing_profile.icm)
2)set up your monitor manually to 6500?k (for printing 6500? - for web 9300 is good enough)
3)open photoshop and select in the color profile adobe rgb1998(adobe rgb1998 for printing - sRGB for web)
4)in the cmyk drop-down men? chek the coated or uncoated option for different print paper.
5)work!

I think this is the method to do differents kind of work...but i'm not so sure. Don't take my suggestion like law or strained gold...search around the web
:D

ApWizard

Erik

Guru
Well, you can save your settings and panels with the multiple interfaces option, and then you only have to press Ctrl+Y to toggle between Adobe 1998 for print to sRGB (Windows monitor) for the web. It would be great indeed to be able to change lots of personal preferences, and, as you said, that might come in the future. But it isn't that hard anymore in PS7.

bydesign_mgd

Color Settings

I appreciate all your feedbacks, I agree, PS7 is one great upgrade. I'm just always looking for shortcuts.

As far as gamma settings go, monitor temp. shouldn't be a factor on the web since most monitors and gamma settings are at a default setting unless your knowledgeable about the control panel. You should only have to set your gamma settings one time and check periodically because your monitor does change somewhat as it gets older.

As far as I see, the only time you should change gamma settings is when you're using different programs, such as Lightwave 3D. Some high end graphics cards that are opengl have special settings for different programs that adjust gamma, rendering, etc.

So I believe that if you adjust color settings for your different uses of PS that should be sufficient.

I've been studying heavily for my PS Certification and I have covered color management heavily.

Again, thanks for all the feedback,

MGD

bydesign_mgd

FYI! Creating an action to convert color settings works. I basically set record and change the settings and tested it and it works.

MGD