What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing colours of clothes.

OwenO

Hi,
So I work for a clothing company and we sell items on various websites. My job is to cut out the images and take out any imperfections like creases etc. We take photos of the images however they aren't exactly great and the person who takes the photos is rather lazy and doesn't take any measures to make the pictures great leaving me to more work on them. Because we're not masters of photography we sometimes give our items to a professional photographers to take good images so we can use them.

From the good professional photos we attempt to use to colour it with the colours we have available in the garment. So for example we send a black top to be professionally photographed, we receive the image and I attempt to colour it red, green or whatever other colours we have available in that garment. The techniques we currently use is hue and saturation and variations. However using these options I still have to do guess work to make the colours match up and occasionally I can be somewhat far out, specifically with colours like mustard or greys. My boss has been getting on my back to get this done better, to make sure the colours are exactly like the ones we have, I've been searching and searching but cannot find a suitable method. I would be so happy if someone could help me get the colouring of one item placed onto another image, I had thought to take images of the colours and placing it on top of the layer of the prof. photo and play with the layer options but it doesn't seem to work 100% and still requires slight touches which my Boss still doesn't like.

Sorry for anyone who had to read all that, I'm sure I could have cut that down a lot but its a very specific thing I'm looking for so wanted to put the story in there so people can understand. Anyone who is able to help me with this I will love forever because it'll get me a raise and relieve a lot of stress.

Cheers,
Owen.

select the shirt, add a layer mask to a duplicate layer of the shirt, desaturate the shirt, then add a layer on top of that in the color that you want, then set the blend mode of that layer to color, and clip that layer to the shirt,

if it still isn't right add a levels adjustment to the shirt layer, and adjust until it is perfect

and if it still isn't right, adjust the saturation of the color layer

Hey,
Thanks for getting back to me. This was the method I showed my Boss last week but he still wasn't happy with it due to the changes I had to make although I insisted he's being far too fussy. This way was the one I preferred but I just wanted to see if there was anything else, anything more precise as my boss is very fussy. It also doesn't really give you the grainy affect you get with Greys. Is there a quick easy way to put this in or is this just something I'll have to sacrifice.

Cheers

Back