What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filters Channel copy lost?

DaveD

I go to channels, and do the RGB selection for the displacement map but it doesn't save after I select ok
I can't find the psd file anywhere in the system

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey.

Not following you. Creating displacement maps usually does not include using channels. It usually involves adding a blur, conversion to black and white or desaturation, and then saving the PSD.

But, for the sake of your post above..........I get that you go to channels.............what are you doing to make a selection for the displacement map? What do you mean when you save after you select OK?

Please give us a much more exact and detailed explanation of your workflow. Thanks.

DaveD

Hey.

Not following you. Creating displacement maps usually does not include using channels. It usually involves adding a blur, conversion to black and white or desaturation, and then saving the PSD.

But, for the sake of your post above..........I get that you go to channels.............what are you doing to make a selection for the displacement map? What do you mean when you save after you select OK?

Please give us a much more exact and detailed explanation of your workflow. Thanks.

Example: I select blue channel - right click - duplicate channel - document changed to new - title the new document
From there nothing is saved anywhere but it does put in in the upper tab of the screen

uk.jpg

DolphDawg

Hi Dave
You need to save the untitled channel as a displacement map (save as psd document). Save it to the desktop. Then use Filter>displace on the file you need to displace. After you punch in your setting choose the "untitled.psd" file from the desktop.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK.

If you have a document that you are working with as shown here in the tab:
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 9.32.15 AM.png

And I go the the Channels Panel and select the "Blue Channel", right click it and then select "Duplicate Channel" this interface will appear:
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 9.30.15 AM.png

If I make a change and enter the following info.........
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 9.31.13 AM.png

Then hit OK. I get a new tab with the blue channel on it's own document just like you did. You can see it here on the right.
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 9.32.27 AM.png

and here... (Just like yours)
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 9.44.45 AM.png

Now, if I want to save that document to use as a displacement map or whatever...........I would save the new document I titled "Blue Channel" as a psd...
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 9.32.47 AM.png

If I save it to my desktop, then that's were the psd file will be.....
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 9.42.39 AM.png

DaveD

It works now but I'm not sure why I have to save it now when it saved automatically when I clicked ok on the channels board (3rd pic above)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not sure why I have to save it now when it saved automatically when I clicked ok on the channels board (3rd pic above)
Using the duplicate channel interface only creates a new document. It does not save automatically. Please note that the term "save" does not appear in that interface. Also note that where it reads, "Destination/Document", when you enter new, it creates a new document.

Once you have the new document open, you then have to save that document.