What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chocolate man

pathogen

Hi all, my 1st post here and hopefully someone can give me some help me on how to recreate this effect.....
I need to recreate this for a job and after trying for days, i just cant do it ...

67eb46331f712ff9bde85644d0c428f2.jpg

I want to take a photo of a person, apply an action, and turn them into chocolate.
Here is a picture to try it out on, if someone can do this, there is a serious reward in it ;)

choccy.jpg

I need to get this image as close as possible to Elton above, but it should also work for other images for example people in wheelchairs, different skin color, different color clothing.
All ideas are appreciated ... any examples would be great ... any actions that'll do it we can talk about getting paid for!

Hopefully someone out there can help
Cheers

Aloha. Try using the famed "statue" or "person to stone" techniques (you'll have to google for tutorials on that) - obviously then just use a chocolatey colour or texture instead of a rock one. This mainly relies on desaturation, displacement maps and some highlights/shadow overpainting. Difference is that the displacement map won't have a particular effect if there isn't much "texture" to the chocolate.

Here my amateurish effort.

Wow very cool...it looks just like those chocolate bunnies very smooth.
Lasa

I want to take a photo of a person, apply an action, and turn them into chocolate.
That's going to be very difficult, i don't mind saying. Specifically getting it as close to Elton as i think you'd like. Reason is, because it's going to take some manual tweaking to pull off, and you can't record that kind of thing in an Action.

But i'm interested to see what folks here come up with in comparison to the good folks at our 'sister' forum, psT. ;)

Doodad, this is a very good shot at it. But I think it's not quite there yet. I also agree that to write an action to accomplish this effect will be virtually impossible. As noted above, way too many tweaks. The process of removing any backgrounds alone will all be handwork I'm going to try some things with posterizing but I'm not sure it will accomplish the desired effect.

This pretty much the best I could come up with as an action...it holds pretty well on most pictures..
Highpass / plastic wrap / gradient.

Lasa

That looks to be an excellent method Lasa - I forgot about the plastic wrap filter - works nicely here. Another benefit of your method is that it allows for greater control in how "shiny" the "chocolate" appears. In your version it has almost a matte finish - similar to the coco covered types you find (??).

Problem I found when trying it out was maintaining depth - which prevents it from looking realistic. I cheated a bit by "vectorizing" parts of the picture, which allowed me to layer them and just apply a colour & embossing with shadows helping to create some illusion of depth. Only the detailed parts (hands & face) were left in overlay/screen/multiply modes. Then I just applied some highlights by hand to be left with... a fairly unconvincing choc-person :p.

;) And a sweet bit of "irony" in combining chocolate & working out.

Wow Lasa, your method is the closest so far, but as doodad pointed out, it needs depth. Which, I think can only be done by hand (not a canned set of steps or an action). I think it's time to go mess around a bit. I'll can see what I can come up with and if so, input any useful tips or techniques.

If you draw in the highlights and shadows it, like anything else can be made to even taste right by a talented digital artist, but trying to make an action (once size fits all) seems a little harder.
Lasa

I agree. However, I think it also has to do with what your trying to create or manipulate.

Good work lasa. :perfect:
, like anything else can be made to even taste right by a talented digital artist

FACT: Madame Tussauds made a lifesize statue of Elton John in chocolate. It took more than 1,000 hours and 227lbs (126kgs) of Cadbury?s
Dairy Milk to create it and was made to Sir Elton?s measurements.

Make me \:/ 1.000 hours > 41 days and nights for one piece of work, what we would be able to create for that same time? ;)
EDIT: see Mark's reply.! :rofl:

I am still laughing, my hours seems lately to be too long!8D
Thanks Mark! 8))

Mark your site looks owesome! Simply love it! Great work.

It took 2 hours and 16 minutes to eat!
Now you know the rest of the story...

Lasa

All that chocolate...ugh. I've been home }P ing today, and chocolate doesn't sound all that great right now. [honesty] But you'll still save some for me, would ya?

Back