What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing right laptop specs for large image file PS work...

BillHirst

Large format film scans enroute to conventional photographic prints is my new project. Inexperienced photoshop user, I welcome advice on computer choice specs for handling image files up to perhaps 500MB size. I believe 6cores is all PS uses and I would need a fast good video graphics card. I use colour managed workflow onto a Eizo monitor, scanner likely to be Flextight Imacon. Advice on buying laptop appreciated. Thanks BillHirst

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do you have any advice on how best to provide for the special issues arising from very large files?
Please describe these issues.

Clearly minimise additional layers but how to keep PS response times manageable?
Ps manages all files the same, no matter the size. Additional layers would be dependent on the users preferences. The only consideration is the speed at which Ps can process large files and that would be dependent on the system.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your inquiry.

BillHirst

Please describe these issues.

Ps manages all files the same, no matter the size. Additional layers would be dependent on the users preferences. The only consideration is the speed at which Ps can process large files and that would be dependent on the system.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your inquiry.
I need to buy a laptop to use for PS. I know I will be working on very large files and assume the processing times will be longer. I have been told PS does not exploit more than 6 cores, but want to ensure I get a sufficiently fast/powerful machine. I would guess that I need >8Gb RAM, a good video card (but which?) Solid state hard drive? Someone on your forum probably has learnt these lessons -but how to find them? In the absence of that I will try some tests and probably end up buying an HP gaming machine.....