What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clipping multiple images to consistent shape

jsraaf

First-time poster & new to the forum.

Question: Say I want to clip 1 or more images to have a certain shape, say an arch top for instance. I might have 1 image to form the arch by itself, or 2 placed next to each other to form it. I want to be able to use multiple images but be able to clip them to the appropriate shape & be exactly identical.

Is there a way to create some kind of "cookie cutter", for lack of a better term, to apply to image(s) & clip them to this consistent shape, without having to manually clip individually?

Hope this makes sense! Below is an example of what I'm talking about. This could either be 1 image (as here) or multiple images to make this larger arched image.

Thanks in advance!

Hi jsraaf and welcome to the board. :perfect:
I don't have enough time to explain it, but I might give it a try latyer this day :)

firstly welcome aboard
for your question I would suggest that you use the pen tool and save the selection....... I am assuming of course that all these images are in one psd file?
by saving the selection you can then click on the path tab if you can't see the path tab go to the window and select paths
then if using a PC click ctrl and click on the path this will give you marching ants of that path then you could go select inverse ..... click the layer the image is on and hit the delete key do this on each layer that you want in the same shape
hope this helps and is the type of thing you are after
sfm

Welcome aboard jsraaf ! :)

To answer your question, I would create my "cookie cutter" (trimming template) as a "custom shape"! ;)

The next step involves "compositing" your individual images (blending 2 or more images into one) and there are many ways to do this. ;) A "layer mask" generally works best. If you're unfamiliar with this method, a quick "google search" should result you in some pretty decent tutes! ;)

Once you have your composite image completed, use your "custom shape" to trim it into shape.

This is but a "quick & dirty" explanation as to how I would go about your problem... and if you don't understand any part of my brief "synopsis", just say so! I have no idea what your level of experience is... :\

If it's only a few layers, I'll use a Clipping Group.

If it's a bunch-a-bunch of layers, I'll make the selection, ctrl + shift + i, fill with background colour (white in your example), and order it to the top. I guess you could think of is as a all-document border.

All fine suggestions here people. :perfect:

Here's mine...

Put all of the target layers into a "Layer Set", then add a Layer Mask to that set. The mask in this case acts just like it would for a single layer, but will effect all of the images within the layer set as a whole. And this way too, you can still effect/modify, and move the separate images/photos around within the set, if you want to.

[honesty]

;) Best (easiest) suggestion Mark! :perfect:

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I am a PS6 newbie (though been working w/ PS Elements for a few months).

I recall reading about Layer Masks in a tutorial somewhere (on this site?).

If I understood correctly, creating this 1-time layer mask would enable me to place multiple images (layers) side-by-side to make up the "full" image I intend to have, and the mask would cause all the images in the layer set to be clipped according to the mask, based on where they were placed (if the mask is an arch shape across the top, the images would all have a different portion of that curve)?

Forgive the terminology that I'm probably mis-using!

An example of what I'm talking about is http://www.hyatt.com. Depending on the page you view, the arch along the top is either 1 or 2 images, clipped to form that arch in a seamless fashion.

heya jsraaf, welcome to the fun! :rofl: :D :D

jsraaf said:
If I understood correctly, creating this 1-time layer mask would enable me to place multiple images (layers) side-by-side to make up the "full" image I intend to have, and the mask would cause all the images in the layer set to be clipped according to the mask, based on where they were placed (if the mask is an arch shape across the top, the images would all have a different portion of that curve)?

Yes... you understand correctly jsraaf. :perfect:

Back