What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clone stamp question

PegoMan

Sometimes when I use the clone stamp tool I would like it to go in a straight line. Not north/south or east/west direction, but on an odd angle and continuing in a straight line at the angle needed. I've tried as many keystroke combinations that I can think of without success. Sometimes I will select the area I need filled in to keep clean edges, but the sample point still needs to be moved straight line. An example would be a narrow straight seam in a wall paneling or a situation similar. So far my best workaround is to use the ruler tool to adjust my selection to N/S or E/W, but that's a pain. Thanks for suggestions if any. The attached staircase as an example.
Cheers
John

This may work for you. Using the clone stamp, select the source info you want to copy, as normal. Then move the clone stamp to Point A of your destination and click your mouse once — and immediately release the mouse, do not drag it — to establish Point A as the starting point. Now move your mouse to Point B of your destination, hold down the Shift key, and click the mouse on Point B. The result will be a clone stamp straight line from points A to B.

This Shift Key method works best for the brush tool and the eraser tool, where you can paint or erase in perfectly straight lines. It's much trickier with the clone stamp.

Worked like a champ! Thanks so much for the tip. That will help in many situations. Thanks again!
John

Back