What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clown a person

koko

Hey koko...

I did this up fairly quick-like just so you could understand the basics of this effect. But it's enough to make things clear, i hope. ;)
It's not as hard as one might think actually. There's pretty much just a few small steps that need to be done.

1st: enter Quick Mask mode (press Q)

2nd: paint over the area of the face you want to whiteout. Use a hard brush for this. You can 'soften' the effect later with a Layer Mask.

3rd: exit Quick Mask (press Q again)

4th: While on the original photo layer press Ctrl+J to copy the selected area to a new layer

5th: group a Brightness & Contrast adjustment layer to this new copy. Then set the Brightness to +70. Set this layer to Screen mode.

6th: group a Hue&Sat adjustment layer above the Brightness & Contrast layer. Set Saturation to -100 and Lightness to +30. Set this layer to Color mode.

7th: Ctrl-click on the face copy layer to select the face outline. Now press Ctrl+Shift+C. Add a new layer above the rest, grouping it also with the topmost layer, and press Ctrl+V. The selection must stil be visible when pasting to ensure the pasted face appears exactly in the same position as it came from.

8th: Set this layer to Hard Light mode.

And now you have the basis of your 'white-face' effect. Some tweaking may be required to facilitate the exact skintone of your specific subject.

NOTE: Add a layer mask to all Adjustment Layers, and using black, paint over the eyes/nostrils/mouth of the subject, to remove the white-face effect from those areas.

Now you need to add the colour painted effects. Do this on new layers that are placed below the last layer you added. The topmost layer (the one you copied/pasted) only serves to enhance the highlights and shadows of the face over top of the painted artwork you add. That's why those new layers need to go below this layer. And set these new layers to Linear Burn mode too.

The only other trick to making the painted artwork appear to actually be ON the face, is to use the Distort/Displace filter. Set the amount small, like 5%. To use this filter you'll need to save out a copy of your original photo as a PSD. And when asked to select a file to use in the Displace filter, you choose this original copy PSD. Apply this to each painted artwork layer you create. Of course as usual, some tweaking may be required when setting the strength aounts in the Displace filter, to suit your specific photo.

Give this a try.
Any questions just ask. :B

thanks Mark,

now its working... !!! 8}
though i could manage when either the hard light layer (#8) is either hidden or i lowered its opacity, i guess its depend on the source image you are working on.

thank you very much for your help.

Back