What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colin Smith's course: Photoshop Composting: Sky City Project

maggie2

Hi,
I want to create pages like the photos of the ones attached to this post. I am wondering if Colin's course on composting would help me achieve this goal. If not, is there another course I could take that would help me with this? In the garden picture I really want to understand how the blending of the fence and the veggies is done so that it looks like it fades into the background.
Thanks

HELP copy.jpg

Aakshat

Power User
You can easily do this with Layer Mask. Here are some tutorials that will give a basic idea of how layer masks work.

And about the Colin's course. In my opinion you dont need any course to learn photoshop.
Everything you ever need to know about photoshop, graphic design, or rocket science, is on internet/youtube. you just need to search.
and if you find yourself stuck on something just ask here, we have very talented people here.

maggie2

Thank you for your help and support. I will go watch that video you provided. You said to search YouTube but what search terms should I use. I have used terms like "combine two photos", "masking" and a couple of others and didn't get very great results. Do you have a search term or two that might give me better results?
Thanks agian

Aakshat

Power User
You can search
blending objects/images in photoshop
Or
How to use layer masks in photoshop

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@maggie2 - You need to keep any inquires about this effect within this thread. Please do not start new threads on the same subject. If you don't understand, then ask here.

This effect is very simple and has been explained in the posts above. It's nothing more than a simple layer mask.

You have a fence photo...
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 12.57.54 AM.png

And a Gardeners Chronicle photo....
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 12.58.10 AM.png

The fence photo is on the uppermost layer above the Gardeners Chronicle photo...
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 12.58.23 AM.png

Then a layer mask is added to the fence layer and the Brush Tool set to black is used blend/fade the fence photo into the Gardeners Chronicle photo.
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 12.58.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 12.58.49 AM.png

As has been suggested, you need to watch as many tutorials on layer masking until you understand. Don't give up!! :)

maggie2

@maggie2 - You need to keep any inquires about this effect within this thread. Please do not start new threads on the same subject. If you don't understand, then ask here.

This effect is very simple and has been explained in the posts above. It's nothing more than a simple layer mask.

You have a fence photo...
View attachment 110825

And a Gardeners Chronicle photo....
View attachment 110826

The fence photo is on the uppermost layer above the Gardeners Chronicle photo...
View attachment 110827

Then a layer mask is added to the fence layer and the Brush Tool set to black is used blend/fade the fence photo into the Gardeners Chronicle photo.
View attachment 110828

View attachment 110830

As has been suggested, you need to watch as many tutorials on layer masking until you understand. Don't give up!! :)
Thank you for this. I have tried this again and again and I still don't get the fading of one layer to the other that I want and that you got. What size of brush do you use? What opacity? I assume you use a soft brush. I can get close but I don't find my fading from one layer to the other as good as yours. I understand the use of layer masks and using black and white. I just can't quite get the edges quite like I want them. Thank you again for your help. I'll keep trying and one of these days I will get this mastered! At least I hope so.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What size of brush do you use?
This would depend on the images. For this image, I would guess about 250 px.

What opacity?
Opacity 100%
Flow 1%

I assume you use a soft brush
Yes. 0%

I can get close but I don't find my fading from one layer to the other as good as yours.
I also use a Wacom Tablet where pen pressure controls opacity. But there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to get similar results with a mouse.

maggie2

This would depend on the images. For this image, I would guess about 250 px.

Opacity 100%
Flow 1%

Yes. 0%

I also use a Wacom Tablet where pen pressure controls opacity. But there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to get similar results with a mouse.
Thank you. I will keep trying.

maggie2

OMG! I just went and tried doing this with the flow reduced. I had never seen that included in instructions before. IT WORKED! The whole thing looks 100% better. I think I can do this now. Thank you so much. You made my day. :):):)