What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

COLLEGE GIRL NEEDS PHOTOSHOP HELP DESPERATELY

HEATHER JARVIS

[confused] Arrrrgggghhh! Help! I need help PLEASE.

Im fairly new to Photoshop so guys, be gentle with me. Here's all I'm trying to do. I've asked several "pros" and no one has solved this for me.

I import a jpeg of a bottle into PS 7.0.

My goal is to export just the bottle without any background and have it appear in Final Cut Pro 3 as "just a bottle" that I can float around a background of twinkling stars in a night sky. (THE BOTTLE IS ATTACHED BELOW AS A PDF)

I don't know if my settings are wrong or what but Ive applied a clipping path, Ive erased the background, etc. but when I save it (in any format, EPS, TIFF, JPEG) it ALWAYS comes back up with a white background. Not just in FCP but in Illustrator, ImageReady, or in Preview.

I'm trying to get a gift project together for my big brother but am quickly running out of time.
If any one can help lil' o me out you'll have a friend for life.

hi, heather!

i'm not sure i understand the problem. if you have the bottle on a white bkgd. simply touch the magic wand tool to the white area. then go to select at the top of the screen, and select inverse. now put the cursor on the bottle, press v on the keyboard, and drag and drop the bottle onto the starry bkgd. i hope this helps, boyd.

Hi there,

I'm not shure but the only format that i know of to have a transparant background is gif

Save as a Tiff or PDF and under the tiff options tick the Save Transparency button. The dialogue box will appear when you go through the save routine.

HTH, Al.

Keep in mind that before you will have a transparency option when saving, you need to have either a clipping path or an alpha channel saved with the transparency info in it. (aka a mask)

If your doc has only a single layer and you remove the BG colour from it, then you should automatically have the transparency option when saving.

I checked the specs on FCP but it didn't mention import file types. If you can't get any other format to work i suggest you save out your image from PS as a 24bit PNG with alpha. Which mean you need to create an alpha mask, as mentioned above.

From what I can read, psd files should import while maintaining transpariency with no problems. I've used psd when creating dvd buttons with transparent background using different software and it works fine.

Here's a clip from a pdf file (It says it's for FCP3 but FCP4 is in the title).

FCP-doc.gif

Here's the link to the pdf doc for you:
www.evergreen.edu/computercenter/downloads/FCP4_part2.pdf
(Sorry for the oversized image)

Here's your 'Bud bottle' in psd format with transparent background:
http://glewis.us/v7th_Recon/misc/bottle.zip

Doc

Back