What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

color adjustment question

persius

It's been a long time since I did any color adjusting with Photoshop so here I am. I have an image I would like to send for printing but I need to make color adjustments. I would like to ask what I need to do and the what is the best method to do this?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Lastly. If I have an image (4864 x 3328) pixels. If that image is scaled down to half the size, will the detail remain clean or will there be any distortion?

Thank you again.

In your first question, if you are referring to a color cast ... one simple way is

Image - Adjustments - Match Color - checkmark Neutralize and adjust sliders to your liking.

Your second question ... you should be able to try it out and see.

I have an image I would like to send for printing but I need to make color adjustments. I would like to ask what I need to do and the what is the best method to do this?
I always make color adjustments in Camera Raw. First, convert the image to a Smart Object, then use CR for the color adjustment.

If I have an image (4864 x 3328) pixels. If that image is scaled down to half the size, will the detail remain clean or will there be any distortion?
I always work larger and reduce/scale the image/project down to whatever size I need. I have not had any problems doing this. But, as suggested, you can answer this question for yourself just by trying.

In your first question, if you are referring to a color cast ... one simple way is

Image - Adjustments - Match Color - checkmark Neutralize and adjust sliders to your liking.

Your second question ... you should be able to try it out and see.

Thank you for taking time to reply. I'll apply your suggestion now.
As a secondary thought. I read an article where it was suggested that the following be done as another way of balancing color for printing.

1. Under "Adjustments", select "levels", or, "curves".
2. Under "Properties", select, "Auto".
That should balance out the colors correctly. Would you suggest that to also be an option to use?

Thank you for taking time to reply. I'll apply your suggestion now.
As a secondary thought. I read an article where it was suggested that the following be done as another way of balancing color for printing.

1. Under "Adjustments", select "levels", or, "curves".
2. Under "Properties", select, "Auto".
That should balance out the colors correctly. Would you suggest that to also be an option to use?
Sure ... try it and see.

Here's another ....
make a copy of image layer
Filter - Blur - Average
Ctrl I to invert that layer then set blending mode to softlight

If you use it often, set up an action.

InvertedLayer.jpg

Sure ... try it and see.

Here's another ....
make a copy of image layer
Filter - Blur - Average
Ctrl I to invert that layer then set blending mode to softlight

If you use it often, set up an action.

View attachment 144211

Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't receive any notifications that you commented to my post.

I'm making notes and adding your suggestion to them. Any little bit helps. I understand people are saying, "try and see". Fair enough. However, trying is one thing but then going out and paying to have an image printed and only then discovering that the colors/brightness etc. are lousy can get expensive. I need to get it right before passing it onto the printers.

I had an experience a few years back when I sent 3 images to be printed. Two came out very nicely but the third was so dark it was hard to see any details in it. I was somewhat stunned that the print shop didn't notice when they had the original image on their monitor and then realized how dark it printed out. That one print set me back about $20.00 and I wasn't about to ask them to print out a few more until it came out correctly.

Thanks again for your tip. Much appreciated.

Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't receive any notifications that you commented to my post.

I'm making notes and adding your suggestion to them. Any little bit helps. I understand people are saying, "try and see". Fair enough. However, trying is one thing but then going out and paying to have an image printed and only then discovering that the colors/brightness etc. are lousy can get expensive. I need to get it right before passing it onto the printers.

I had an experience a few years back when I sent 3 images to be printed. Two came out very nicely but the third was so dark it was hard to see any details in it. I was somewhat stunned that the print shop didn't notice when they had the original image on their monitor and then realized how dark it printed out. That one print set me back about $20.00 and I wasn't about to ask them to print out a few more until it came out correctly.

Thanks again for your tip. Much appreciated.
I hear you ... but I meant just trying things out and deciding from your on screen views.

You do not mention the print sizes, but if one print set you back $20 .... must be large prints.

I'd do a test run on small prints of 4 x 6 ... locally, before sending off for larger prints.

Yes, the print was rather sizeable and on high quality paper. The things we go through in order to learn. :)

Back