What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color over flow - Magic Wand Tool help!!

Leslie

Please see the attached.

Lets imagine this is a black outlined box that I am filling with color... I have MANY of these boxes to fill with color so to make it a quick process I click inside the box with the Magic Wand Tool and then simply fill with the colr, HOWEVER, see how the color overflows onto the black line which makes it appear less bold and rather blurry (not a crisp line) when the image is reduced.

What can I do to color these boxes quickly and the color not encroach onto the black line?

Thank you in advance for any help!

colorflow.PNG

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome

Have you tried to increase the tolerance of the tragic wand tool? Is "contiguous" checked or un-checked? Is the black outline around the box on a separate layer? Are you sure that the original color that's within the black outlines do not overlap?

The problem with the tool is that it selects pixels based on tone and color. When you click on an area in the image with the tool, it looks at the tone and color of the area you clicked on and selects pixels that share the same color and brightness values. It often will blend the edges of a selection if there is an overlap. It may not be the best tool for the job.

Without seeing (only imagining) what it is you're doing, I can't make a proper suggestion. However, if the space that you are selecting has known dimensions, I would suggest using a shape tool.

Leslie

shape tool would take waaaay too long... I have many of these to fill, any other suggestions?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As explained in my post #2, if you have adjusted the tolerance and played with contiguous setting, and there are no overlapping layers in the originals, then I can't offer much more without having an example to inspect and experiment with. The magic wand tool has limitations that you may have to tolerate.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just so you know, I can't reproduce your results with my experiments. I get fairly perfect selections under the same circumstances.

thebestcpu

Guru
I think I might now the answer on this one.
When doing the selection there is one other checkbox you can turn off which should help and that is the Anti-Alias checkbox. The intent is with that checked to have a little fuzziness around the selection which especially helps with non vertical/horizontal lines. In the case of vertical/horizontal there will be a partial fill over 1 pixel on those boundaries (at least it does for me)
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Lol John.............I was just about to ask about anti aliasing!

I finally manged to recreate the problem. Small document with anti aliasing turned on!
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 10.55.04 AM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
I have been caught by that one also mask feathering so have been personally burned (not the best memories yet more long lasting memories) :)