What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coloring black and white 40s pic

robswede88

Far from done, but what do you guys think? Put it in the trash or continue? And what color do you think the car was? Black? dark blue? red? Still learning. Thanks!
testcolorr.jpg

JeffK

Guru
Great work! Honestly, I wouldn't even colorize the car - this way the attention is on the woman which is where I think you want us to look!
Very dynamic shot! :bowdown:

robswede88

Great work! Honestly, I wouldn't even colorize the car - this way the attention is on the woman which is where I think you want us to look!
Very dynamic shot! :bowdown:
Thank you so much :clap:

testcolor2.jpg

Original:
Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 17-14-58 10-lens-lyon-slide-20T4-superJumbo jpg (WEBP-bild, 2048 × 20...png

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @robswede88
Great work. I hope to be able to competently colorize images yet have not started practicing.
A little research on the internet might reveal colors that were used for that car. I am skeptical about the color of the car being a red-pink color though. I draws attention away from the rest of the image (same comment @JeffK mentioned)

I get inspired by a couple very creative folks that do colorization.

One is @Ray Guselli a member a more recent member of PS Gurus and is on other forums as well. Here is a link to a couple thousand before and after colorization pictures. That might provide some ideas for you: Colorization Images by Ray Guselli

Another is Patsy Murphy. I don't know if she has a web site or not yet she is on other forums with colorization examples all the time. Here is one link that at the top of the page are 88 before after colorizations. Colorization examples by Patsy Murphy

The examples by both of these artists are quite inspirational to me.

Hope you find this useful.
John Wheeler

PS - BTW - one of the elements that make their images so great includes having excellent quality B&W images from which to start.

robswede88

Hi @robswede88
Great work. I hope to be able to competently colorize images yet have not started practicing.
A little research on the internet might reveal colors that were used for that car. I am skeptical about the color of the car being a red-pink color though. I draws attention away from the rest of the image (same comment @JeffK mentioned)

I get inspired by a couple very creative folks that do colorization.

One is @Ray Guselli a member a more recent member of PS Gurus and is on other forums as well. Here is a link to a couple thousand before and after colorization pictures. That might provide some ideas for you: Colorization Images by Ray Guselli

Another is Patsy Murphy. I don't know if she has a web site or not yet she is on other forums with colorization examples all the time. Here is one link that at the top of the page are 88 before after colorizations. Colorization examples by Patsy Murphy

The examples by both of these artists are quite inspirational to me.

Hope you find this useful.
John Wheeler

PS - BTW - one of the elements that make their images so great includes having excellent quality B&W images from which to start.
Thank you, I will check them out. Really appreciate it, and I agree that the car is to pink, its a work in progress.