What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coloring individual parts in a brush

I'm not sure anyone understands what you are asking. How do you color an individual part WITH a brush? Is that what you mean? Can you take a screen shot for us?

Yeah sorry, I wanted to post a link to the brush but I don't have 8 posts ..

just tried to put a screenshot it and it didn't allow me so I'm being clever with the link, hopefully I can smuggle it pass and maybe someone can post it for me..

imgur DOT com/U8o82

This is a brush, but like the picture I want to color the individual bands..

OK, here's the image:

U8o82.jpg

I went ahead and downloaded these brushes. To my knowledge, you can't color an individual part of a brush in itself. That is, one brush can only make one color at a time. This picture had the colors added after the fact, is my guess. We can edit the colors of this image, or just start from scratch using one of their brushes and coloring it ourselves. For now, We'll go option 2. I'll post instructions in a second...

Ok, coloring the brush one color is pretty simple. Choose your brush and make a new layer. Choose white and the foreground, and use the brush. Now, in a new layer, you're going to make your color. It can be single tone, or multiple colors. Then alt+click between the two layers, so the color is only affecting your brush. Check out the pics below:

blue.jpgrainbow.jpglayers.jpg

Now, this is obviously a quick and dirty way to get this done, but it'll move you in the right direction. You can toy around with smudging the color layer, so that it doens't look like such a straight rainbow effect. Let me know if this helps. I might have missed what you're actually trying to accomplish.

I saved it as a low res jpg. It also looks a little sketch without the gradient behind it and drop shadow applied to the ribbon layer. Also, I scaled the brush way down to fit it on the canvas. Could be any of those.

Yes this is very similiar (and looks great) but not the same, the example shows ribbons with certain colour overlapping others (see the blue that goes from top to bottom) .. not something that can be replicated by doing a straight gradient over the entire thing.. know what I mean?

Yes, I understand what you mean. I don't know of a way to make it exact with an existing brush. You could create your own ribbon. Here's one that I just made:

ribbon22.jpg

That looks pretty good as well .. Warp tool?

I've just tried creating the brush, making a new layer, using the 300 soft edge brush tool to paint some colours on top then use the blending mode set to colour with the brush underneath .. worked .. okayish .. not great

Yep, warp tool. Coloring the existing image would be a BEAST! Time consuming. My best guess (about the original image) is that it was created in color to begin. When it was converted into a photoshop brush, it dropped to gray scale. I don't know that it's possible to do the process in reverse, so your best bet might be to re-create the ribbon with the colors you want. You could use create the straight ribbon with a gradient, or straight colors and then use a blur to make the colors bleed into each other. Then, you'd want to add a few semi-transparent lines running the length of the ribbon, to give those darker lines and add shape like in the original image. Then use transform>warp to bend the ribbon as desired.

I'm not sure how the art was made originally. It's pretty sweet, though. I'll have to go back and see what was said about it on the original site.

Ok, here we go!

Let me know what you think..

PWJh7.jpg

Yeah, looks great. You could have a little bit cleaner lines by making some selections prior to brushing, but that is more of a preference thing. The one below has super sharp lines, but I really prefer yours, I think.

U8o82.jpg

Ok, now I'm curious what I'm doing wrong here. How did you post your image. Mine are looking super pixelated, and that's not the way they are being saved on my computer.

Back