What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colorizing an existing Sprite???

^Photographer

I have an existing Sprite .png file. There are a bunch of images contained in the Sprite and I want to change the color of one image on the sheet. I don't have the layered PSD.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Yes,

Open the .png file.
Use your lasso tool to draw a selection around the sprite you wish to alter. When you have your selection, hit command + J to duplicate that selection to it's own layer. Command + D to deselect.

Deactivate the main sheet layer. Highlight the removed sprite layer, change the color of the sprite to the way you want them. I would use color range.

When done, reactivate the main sheet layer and save.

I presume we are talking about the CG (computer graphics) version, not the soft drink or the elfin creatures of the forest?

;-)

T

Yes,

Open the .png file.
Use your lasso tool to draw a selection around the sprite you wish to alter. When you have your selection, hit command + J to duplicate that selection to it's own layer. Command + D to deselect.

Deactivate the main sheet layer. Highlight the removed sprite layer, change the color of the sprite to the way you want them. I would use color range.

When done, reactivate the main sheet layer and save.
Sam..

Ah ha...

I got the first parts but don't seem to be able to change the color of the isolated image. Here is my image after follow the first parts of your tut...Don't seem to be able to change the color. Can you help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot.png
    Screen Shot.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 16
If you have the item selected you can easily change the color with Hue/saturation filter like this

View attachment 32647

Last edited:
Once you have the little guy isolated, you can use many techniques to actually change the color. I thought your sprites may be multi colored so I suggested using SELECT > COLOR RANGE to select the color you wanted to change. I can see from your screenshot that this is not a problem for the sprites you've selected.

As iDad suggested, you can do one of two things, one is to select the sprites layer and then add a HUE & SATURATION adjustment by going to IMAGE > ADJUSTMENT > HUE & SATURATION (or command + U). This way is affects the layer directly.

Secondly you can add a HUE SATURATION ADJUSTMENT LAYER by going to LAYER > NEW ADJUSTMENT LAYER > HUE & SATURATION. This way affects the layer indirectly.

From either of these choices you can change the color of the sprite.

Thanks to both of you guys. Very helpful.

I've used the Hue/Saturation before to colorize single icons and just didn't think of that. woo.gif

Back