What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colors washed out when import to Photoshop

koolarsenal

Dear guys,
I'm a newbie and I have problem when importing a PDF file to Photoshop. As you can see in attached images, the Capture1.JPG is how I view the PDF file, and the Capture2.JPG is how I view when I imported to Photoshop. I have no idea how to fix this. Any comment would be appreciated, thanks.

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

thebestcpu

Guru
Not clear what the issue is to me. It would probably help if you provided the PDF file through a file sharing service such as DropBox etc so forum members could give it a look
Also, it would help to know how you are viewing the PDF file (Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat Pro, etc) and which version of Photoshop you are using and on which OS (Mac vs PC)
Just a suggestions
John Wheeler

koolarsenal

Not clear what the issue is to me. It would probably help if you provided the PDF file through a file sharing service such as DropBox etc so forum members could give it a look
Also, it would help to know how you are viewing the PDF file (Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat Pro, etc) and which version of Photoshop you are using and on which OS (Mac vs PC)
Just a suggestions
John Wheeler
Thanks for your reply, I used Foxit Reader, Photoshop CC, and Window 10.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Koolarsenal
If you have problems or don't have access to a file sharing site, I can send you a link through the Photoshop Gurus messaging system where you an upload the PDF to my DropBox account and then I would post a link for access to the forum. Just let me know if you want the upload link.

koolarsenal

Hi Koolarsenal
If you have problems or don't have access to a file sharing site, I can send you a link through the Photoshop Gurus messaging system where you an upload the PDF to my DropBox account and then I would post a link for access to the forum. Just let me know if you want the upload link.
Sr for my late response, here is the PDF file

Attachments

• 03-KTCQ-Lesco-2020-02-02.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Koolarsenal
Turns out the image in your PDF is a Vector Graphic and the difference you are seeing in colors has to do with the rendering engines of the PDF viewer converting them into raster images.
The one that is closest to being correct is actually what you imported into Photoshop rather than what you were viewing with other PDF viewers.

I have two images below. They are in the green stripe area of the image that has the number 524.
The first is a screen shot of the PDF files as viewed from Adobe Acrobat Pro viewed at 2400% to show the detail.
The second image is what I viewed in Photoshop after importing you image to fill WxH of 32,000 x 28,062 pixel image (to help avoid some of the rasterization and subsampling issues)

When converting the vector graphic to raster at very high resolution, it makes a pretty good approximation of the original graphic.

Here is the screen shot of the original vector graphic

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 7.42.17 AM.png

And here is the image imported to Photoshop at very high resolution. You can see some rasterization (jaggies) yet it duplicates the vector graphic quite well.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 7.43.12 AM.png

This may not solve you bottom line issue yet this should give you a starting point of what the issue is all about.
Hope this helps

John Wheeler

ADDED EDIT:
As a reference point, I imported the image into an image size of WxH 3310 x 2338 and you can see that the rendering creates all sorts of issues at lower resolution

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 8.02.47 AM.png

ANOTHER ADDED EDIT:

From reading online, at least some versions of Foxit Reader do not handle vector graphics well. My bet that it is your PDF viewer that is the issue.

Last edited:

koolarsenal

Hi Koolarsenal
Turns out the image in your PDF is a Vector Graphic and the difference you are seeing in colors has to do with the rendering engines of the PDF viewer converting them into raster images.
The one that is closest to being correct is actually what you imported into Photoshop rather than what you were viewing with other PDF viewers.

I have two images below. They are in the green stripe area of the image that has the number 524.
The first is a screen shot of the PDF files as viewed from Adobe Acrobat Pro viewed at 2400% to show the detail.
The second image is what I viewed in Photoshop after importing you image to fill WxH of 32,000 x 28,062 pixel image (to help avoid some of the rasterization and subsampling issues)

When converting the vector graphic to raster at very high resolution, it makes a pretty good approximation of the original graphic.

Here is the screen shot of the original vector graphic

View attachment 110624

And here is the image imported to Photoshop at very high resolution. You can see some rasterization (jaggies) yet it duplicates the vector graphic quite well.

View attachment 110625

This may not solve you bottom line issue yet this should give you a starting point of what the issue is all about.
Hope this helps

John Wheeler

ADDED EDIT:
As a reference point, I imported the image into an image size of WxH 3310 x 2338 and you can see that the rendering creates all sorts of issues at lower resolution

View attachment 110627

ANOTHER ADDED EDIT:

From reading online, at least some versions of Foxit Reader do not handle vector graphics well. My bet that it is your PDF viewer that is the issue.
I really appreciated your dedication, finally I can understand my problem, thank you very much.