What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colour replacement help!

Boxy1001

Hi guys,

I'm trying to replace a colour from a recent beauty shoot. the nail varnish needs to match the lip colour (bright orange) but whilst the lip colour has registered well with the camera sensor, the neon orange nail varnish is coming up as yellow with a neon red-ish shadow.
I've tried several methods to change the yellow colour on the nails to match the lips but it's just coming put looking a dirty brown-ish orange, rather than bright like the lips.
I'm a makeup artist really but the photographer's not much of a retoucher and I like to dabble. This is seriously confusing me! Can anyone help?
I have a very basic handle on photoshop so baby steps please!
I've attached a screenshot of the area concerned. I'm more bothered about the top hand as the lower one seems alright.
Thanks in advance!

Orange-Yellow.jpg

RTContent

Power User
I know this answer is probably slightly different than what you're expecting but....

Anyway I noticed that the white balance was pretty off and making the image look extremely warm. What I suggest is to correct this and mask out the lips and nails. This will create a nice contrast between the lips/nails and the face.

What I did was create a new Levels Adjustment layer toned down the red channel and upped the blue a little. Then paint over the lips and nails on the Layer mask to reveal their true colors.

Orange-Yellow.jpg

If the top nails still look to yellowish you can then add a new layer, change the blending mode to color/hue and use the brush to sample color off the lips and paint over the nails.

Orange-Yellow2.jpg

Cool photo by the way! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I am definitely not as experienced as RT but I took a shot at it. You wanted the lips and nails to match more or less. See if this is close to what you want. Quick job on the masking so don't be too critical.
Orange-Yellow2.jpg

Hoogle

Guru
Just add a hue saturation adjustment layer play with sliders until the nails are right then invert the rest so it is masked out.

Ignore the rest I did here was just playing
orange.JPG