What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combines two shapes

Lynge

Hi
I have been searching the web for a way to combine two shapes in photoshop, but with no luck.

I want to combine two shapes, that has already been drawn, into one. Like the "Add to shape area" when creating a new shape, but for use with shapes that already exist...

Anyone her know hwo to do that?

Many thanks in advance :)

Shapes are just nothing but vector paths, so if you want to modify a shape, you just need to modify the path or add new paths. That's what you have the pen tool for.

Or you can combine tow existing paths by drawing one and then drawing the second one with the "Add to shape area" button in the options bar selected.

But is it not possible to combine two shapes that has already been drawn? I am asking since when adding text to a shape that would seem the only way to do it.
As you know, one has to complete the text and then convert it to a shape, but when that is done it is too late to add it to another shape.

One solution is to make the text-shape first and the add another shape to that one, but when combining multiple text-shapes with one block-shape that wont work.

Is there really no way to do this, other than attempting to draw another shape in freehand with the pen-tool?
That is gonna produce some funny looking shapes :D

As you know, one has to complete the text and then convert it to a shape, but when that is done it is too late to add it to another shape.

And how do you convert it to a shape and are you sure that result actually IS a shape?
I'm saying this, because converting text can only be done by converting it to a selection and then to a path, but the result looks bad.

I just right-click the text-layer and choose "Convert to shape".
The layer then changes to look just like the other layers that contain nothing but one shape.

I assume that it is then a real shape, but I might be wrong.
I'm using CS4 btw if that could be the cause of the misunderstanding.

I thank you for spending time helping me with this, but I just wan't to know if it is possible to merge two (or more) shapes into one after they have been created. So that they share layer-styles and such.

Sorry, I'm going to leave this forum, with all the spam it's not fun anymore and this problem has already been on this forum for months and nothing gets solved.

Bye

Oh well, I found the solution

If anyone else finds this thread looking for it, they can just go here:

What you need to do is copy one shape into another shape's layer:

1) Click on the vector mask thumbnail of the first shape layer and Ctrl + C (Cmd + C) to copy it;
2) Click on vector mask thumbnail of second shape layer and Ctrl + V (Cmd + V) to paste the first copied shape.
3) Click the "Combine" button on the toolbar to combine shapes.

Why are you giving answers to problems that have been solved?
There are now three posts that should be forgotten about, this was started in 2009, whats the point?

Back