What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

complex selection

kvnovasco

say i want to select a subject
but the subject is obscured by grass
how'd i go on about that :(
tried color range and blend if and channel+levels but nothing is working as intended

example
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 1.45.57 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome. I have a question.............Why would you make a selection of the subject? Once done, you would still have missing information where the grass used to be. Selecting the grass makes better since if you were planing on a color change maybe, otherwise, your best bet is to get to work with the Clone Stamp Tool and replace the missing parts of the subject covered by the grass. No need to make a selection.

JeffK

Guru
What you do and how you do it depends on what you want as a result...
What exactly are you trying to do?
Do you want to extract the girl and place her on a different background?
Do you want to isolate the girl, make changes, and place her back in the same background?
Just as a test, I used the quick selection tool, then went to select and mask, then used the refine mask tool.
Here are my results:
1626808506776.png

You would still have to do some cloning and brush work...but again it all depends on what your final goal is....

- Jeff

kvnovasco

Hello and welcome. I have a question.............Why would you make a selection of the subject? Once done, you would still have missing information where the grass used to be. Selecting the grass makes better since if you were planing on a color change maybe, otherwise, your best bet is to get to work with the Clone Stamp Tool and replace the missing parts of the subject covered by the grass. No need to make a selection.

no the grass would still be there...just in a separate layer so i could edit on her without affecting grass at all

i'm just trying to challenge myself a bit tho took it too far with this one
guess it's impossible without painful brushing

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
no the grass would still be there...just in a separate layer so i could edit on her without affecting grass at all
OK, this makes sense. I saw you looking at threads about removing backgrounds so I thought this was your intention.

i'm just trying to challenge myself a bit tho took it too far with this one
guess it's impossible without painful brushing
Yes, these types of selections can be very challenging! But no matter how you arrive at the initial selection, some tedious brushwork will probably be needed.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was experimenting on this subject to see what, if any, technique would be the easiest way. I still think I would have to employ some brush time.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 2.41.30 PM.png