What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert CMYK to Pantone?

nexgraphics

Hi, I was just told by a printer that I need to convert my clients logo from CMYK to SPOT COLOR PANTONE? Though for the life of me I have never had to do this, I was told it is QUITE a procedure in Photoshop. Can anyone wlak me through it step by step please? Comething to do with channels but I dont know how to do it. Much obliged!

bluelobster

It is possible to identify spot colors in PS. They need to be added each as an individual channel in the Channels panel.

From the Channels panel drop-down menu, select New Spot Channel...

Give the channel a name (ideally, the name of the Pantone color). Click on the color swatch in the same dialog box. In the Color Picker, click on Color Libraries. Select your Pantone color: pick a Book, then quickly type in the color number. Click OK twice.

Paint/fill with black on the channel mask where this color needs to go on your document. You will see your desired color on the screen, and the printer can print each channel as a plate with black on white (ready for inking).

Rinse and repeat with your other spot colors.

Unfortunately, it's not a simple matter of Image > Mode > Spot Colors, or something like that.