What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting photoshop files to EPS?

Hi Tomas -

I used "Image Trace" (ie, in AI / CS6) on the tif file that you posted. Below, I attached a screen shot that shows how well it traced the outline + the settings that I used. I also attached a copy of the AI file so that you can open it yourself, convert it to an eps, or whatever else you might like to do with it.

The tracing is not perfect, but it looks to me like it is substantially less lumpy than the version you did in CS5. In addition, there are many adjustments possible.

Let me know what you think.

Tom

Attachments

• screen_shot-retrace-AI-cs6.jpg
    screen_shot-retrace-AI-cs6.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 0
  • retraced_using_CS6_Image_Trace.zip
    385.9 KB · Views: 0
And, for comparison, here is another tracing using AI / CS6.

As you can see by looking in at the parameters used in the "Image Trace" panel, the only difference between this one and the previous is that I increased the number of paths substantially & made a few other, smaller tweaks. As you can see, this version is much more faithful to the original.

HTH,

T

Attachments

• screen_shot-retrace2-AI-cs6.jpg
    screen_shot-retrace2-AI-cs6.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 2
Thanks. I've messed around with all the suggestions in this thread on different artwork (and you're definitely right ALB that some of it is pretty bad) and still am not satisfied with a lot of it. I just don't know what the hell to do. Is there another way to guarantee a true black and white image in photoshop without turning it to bitmap?

...Is there another way to guarantee a true black and white image in photoshop without turning it to bitmap?

Hi Tomas -

You've lost me. I don't understand the above statement. Everything in PS except vector art IS a bitmap. In fact, as soon as you fill a path, it becomes a bitmap.

You've also lost me with your phrase, "...a true black and white image...". It's trivial to get true blacks in either PS or AI. If you ran into some situation where a dark tone is not a true black in either program, it's trivial to fix it.

These can't be the things that really are bothering you.

Cheers,

Tom

PS - What did you think of the last tracing I posted? To be honest, it looked pretty good to me. Was there something wrong with it?

Tom, I do like the last tracing you did. Looks quite close to the original shape. What I mean by bitmap is the color profile. The die-maker told me before (when they were still using the old film technique) that after creating the logo I need to convert the mode to bitmap and save it as a tif. They told me that that's the only way to "ensure a true black and white image"--with no shades of gray. I will call them again tomorrow to try to clarify again what it is that they need from me now that they've changed processes, since it sounds like I may be confusing two different things they've told me at different times. Thanks for bearing with me.

Tomas

... What I mean by bitmap is the color profile. ...Tomas

Hi Tomas - I presume the quoted comment is referring to the "bitmap" option discussed on this page:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-73d6a.html

There are many, many options / variables when one does such a conversion, e.g., see the previous URL, as well as the two attached screen grabs. When you speak to the printer, you need to find out *EXACTLY* which settings/options they require.

That being said, I am astonished that they are asking you to do that conversion. If you present any competent printer with an AI file, and EPS file, or even a PS file in RGB 16 bpc mode that contains only black and white areas, it should be absolutely trivial for them to do the conversion, and do so exactly the way that is optimized for their particular process.

As an example, in the newspaper industry, where all photos used to be produced by a half-tone screen method, the photographers would NEVER get involved in the conversion of the photograph to half-tone. The technicians at the print shop would always handle this in the best way for their particular press.

Because of this, I'm starting to wonder if you aren't getting some bad advice from them, or possibly you are speaking to the wrong person at their shop.

HTH,

Tom

PS - Note that the discussion in this post about the conversion of a conventional RGB or grayscale image to Photoshop's "bitmap" image mode is entirely distinct from our previous discussion of tracing accuracy, the minimum ppi one should use when rendering vector graphics, etc. If your printer insists that you set the conversion options yourself, you probably should read some articles that discuss the difference between ppi and line screen frequencies before you talk to them again, e.g., http://web.sos.com.au/index.php/dpi-vs-lpi.html. Another possibility (as suggested by ALB, above) is to check out other print shops.

Attachments

• some_of_the_bitmap_conversion_options-1.jpg
    some_of_the_bitmap_conversion_options-1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 15
  • some_of_the_bitmap_conversion_options-2.jpg
    some_of_the_bitmap_conversion_options-2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15
Kingston, why did you post that message? Did you read even *one* of the previous messages in this thread, including those posted by the OP? :rolleyes:

The OP himself knows about AI and is in the process of trying to use it to get files in eps format. We are trying to help him with this process.

Tom

Yes i read that reply, but whatever i feel i was share here. I am not a perfect in Graphic designing and these software. i just share my point of view, if you thing my answer is wrong then you can remove from here.

Back