What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convincing cloth challenge...

Welles

Guru
My attention was captured recently by a question about creating convincing cloth for a background. A little experimentation and I ended up with the image below.

It was really very easy. The first layer had the pattern which I just made with a pattern overlay in Styles. The top layer was made with a dark grey/white gradient set to Difference and run several times in short segments.

Once the gradient layer was to taste, I copied that layer and created a new image into which my gradient layer was pasted for a displacement map and saved. Then I ran the displace filter on my pattern layer and finally changed the blend mode of the gradient layer to multiply.

So the challenge is to make a convincing cloth/material background. Extra credit for silk. Extra-extra credit for crushed silk. ;)

Here's a try at crumpled cotton cloth. I used a similar technique as Welles.[/b]

Moth,

That looks very 3D because of the strength of the red/blue image. Unfortunately the strength of the pattern has also tended to overwhelm the crumple effect, on my monitor anyway.

I know what you mean. I was going for a patiche (spelling?) look but it came out far more intense than I intended. You can see the crumpled look by the distortion of the pattern but the shading can't compete with the colors. I'll submit another attempt in a day or so. Right now I am so wiped from my job and a bout of common cold that I can't hardly think straight. [confused] \:] [confused]

I did this a while back and had almost forgotten it until I read this thread Welles. Thanks for reminding of it :perfect: I have precious little computer time at present so I will just post "on the run" as it were untill I have a bit more time.
final.jpg

I used a similar method as you and Moth.[/img]

Oooh good one. I think I remember thiis piece. A how to do curtains thread, right?

Yup, you got it Moth, that was about a year ago I think. I really like that Yin Yang animation Welles I've seen that before somewhere but did not know how they did it, thanks for the link.

I've been trying to do some realistic cloth images and this is what I can contribute with:

(no use of displacement maps)
Cloth in perspective
gradient_filter.jpg

Cloth on a golden ring
cloth.jpg

/Moltas

Both of those examples are superior, Moltas. :perfect:

Could you tell me how you achieved such a smooth shiny silk appearance in the top one. That was the sort of effect I was trying to achieve originally but couldn't quite pull it off (so I gave up and started the challenge in the hope that someone else could provide a good direction. ;) )

Gadzooks! I found the original tutorial that got me well on the road to the example I posted above. I knew I had it around somewhere.
aprilgem.jpg

Aprilgem's Journal
This has got me going again now, I'm going to try some more examples as soon as I get back from viewing another potential apartment to call home. :)
Nice work Moltas
Here is the Yin Yang tile that I used in the above example
in case anyone wanted to use it.
taotile.jpg

Welles said:
Both of those examples are superior, Moltas. :perfect:

Could you tell me how you achieved such a smooth shiny silk appearance in the top one. That was the sort of effect I was trying to achieve originally but couldn't quite pull it off (so I gave up and started the challenge in the hope that someone else could provide a good direction. ;) )

Well I hate to say it but it's a trick that almost comes out of the box...sort of. Here's a quick and dirty tut. Hope you can follow the steps, otherwise just post your questions.

1. Create a new layer and fill it with some color name it satin.
2. Apply the Pattern Overlay filter using 'Satin'. Scale it up (I used somewhere around 500%)
3. Create a new layer and move it under the 'satin' layer and merge the satin layer down (CTRL+E)
4. Transform the layer using perspective and distort to get a felling of perspective.
5. Using your tool of choice, erase the top so it follows the folds of the satin.
6. Give the image a gradient blur to get the out-of-focus feeling.

Sadly, this is a very limited way of creating cloth but it might be still useful.

/Moltas

Thanks for the tip, Moltas it took me a while to find the satin texture as I haven't had it loaded in a long time and I save zillions of presets. I tried doing a patterned sample with that Satin pattern as a displacement map and I thought it only looked fairly convincing, not nearly as good as your plain satin with the distortion and distance blur added.

It's been a very long time since I have been able to get over here. I am partnered up with a couple of guys from England, and we run a WindowsXP Skinning and general Windows Forums.

I have to say that when I get a chance, I will be trying this challenge out.

My hats off to all of you for these. Truly works of art in a very difficult (more advanced) challenge.

8)) 8)) 8))

If you are interested, please stop on by and check us out at:

WidescreenXP

ok -- here's my attempt at this. i was trying for a red denim look -- but got this after about 2 hrs of work.

fabric.jpg

Back