What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CORRECTION FOR FLOURESCENT LIGHTING

Gadgetgal

I know correct lighting is the very best way. However, I have a photo taken under flourescent lighting that has a strong yellow tint on the skin tones. Are there any methods to improve this after the fact? This is the only photo we have of a recently deceased friend. I have been asked to print it and the yellow cast is so strong. Thanks.

Hi Gadgetgal and welcome to the board :perfect:

First a simple, question, did you try to correct the problem with Image/Adjustments/Auto Levels (Photoshop 6 & 7) or Image/Adjustments/Auto Color (Photoshop 7 only)?

Flourescent lighting

I very seldom like the corrections from Auto Levels. I usually play around with each color's levels, curve or color balance. However, I have a lot to learn still. In this instance, it is a strong yellow cast.

I never use the automated tools myself, but I asked you this to figure out what the problem exactly looks like. The automated tools can give us sometimes an idea what to look for. The new Auto Color tool however can save a lot of time for people who are not experienced enough to use the more sophisticated color correction tools.

See, normally I would ask for a sample image, but under these circumstances I can understand that it might be difficult for you to post it on the board. Always feel free to mail it to me and I will have a look at it.

Welcome to the board Gadgetgal! :) Your problem is one of Gaussian's many "areas of expertise" and he'll certainly have a solution for you, if you provide him with a copy of the picture in question. There's always more than one way to correct a problem such as yours, so the image should be analyzed first, to determine what is the best method.

And yes, the link that Stroker has posted provides one of those techniques that can work miracles! ;) It'll take time to go through it, but it's well worth it!

Best of luck with your project... and be sure to share your results with us! :)

Thanks for the welcome All!

I have printed off the Curves tutorial. I am going to try this. I saw this about a year and a half ago; but could not remember where. I even had it printed but where it is well ...... I realize the power of curves but I am slow at grasping the technique. I use it every time I edit but I am only barely using it. It made a lot more sense when I read it today. This is a great forum!! I'll be back with more questions I am sure. Thanks, again.

What did I do wrong? I have the whole photo visible rather than a link or icon. Someone educate me, please!! Sorry!!!

;) Gadgetgal, we like to keep the file size of pic attachments here to under 150 kb (whose criteria you meet) and the dimension up to a max of 600 pixels wide. Your pic is 780 wide, which means that those of us running smaller screen resolutions, have to use a horizontal scroll bar. Pain in the a** and nobody likes it. ;)

We "forgive you" (this time)! [shhh] :p

At least now, you have supplied us with an image to analyze and have a "go at" correcting that yellow cast! :D

Hi there. Welcome to this forum, and I hope the pain for the loss of your friend is a bit softened by the good memories you have and the fact that your friendship for him hasn't changed.

About your photograph: This can easily be corrected as follows.

1/ Open the image in Photoshop
2/ Go to Image>Mode and set to LAB colors
3/ Now click on your Channels Palette to make it visible. You will see 4 channels called, from top to bottom Lab, Lightness, a and b. Click on the b channel to select it, but keep the eye icon on the Lab channel so that you do see your image in all its full colors.
4/ Now go to Image>Adjustments>Curves and set your curves approximately as shown:

Part two:

Now go back to Image>Mode and set to RGB as it originally was.

Press Ctrl+L to open your levels and drag the central (middle) little triangle until you read 0,90
This adds a bit of contrast to the photograph.

Gadgetgal... Here's my Q+D (quick & dirty) result obtained with (primarily) "color replacement" and a little "curve" adjustment.

That's a new technique for me, Erik, that you've posted here. I haven't experimented with that one myself, but will do so! ;)

I have also lost quite a few friends over the years,so I made this image.If you like it I have it quite a big bigger as well,let me know if you do :)

I desaturated the color over all and the re placed with a tinge of just red :) ,not perfect but most of the yellow is gone.

Stu.

Stroker: I read the article and printed it to study. Thanks for pointing me back to this. I found this when I started learning PS a year ago and lost it. I was unable to grasp much then. I got more today. Thanks!!

Wbiss: Sorry, I saw the 150 kb limit but not the 600 pixels wide. Thanks for pointing it out. I know how I feel when someone emails me a photo that is all over the screen. I really didn't want to do that. Thanks.
Can you elaborate on the steps for color replacement. I have never done that successfully. I have a feeling it is one of those simple things that always goes over my head.

Erik: Thanks for your thoughts and the method. I have never used lab mode before or channels. I tried to follow it through once and will revisit it.

Kiwi: I like the background replacement idea. The photo is very thought provoking. I am not sure if the group of friends I am doing this for will want the background replaced. They plan to make a In Memory of Plaque. I will have to check. What were your steps to do this?

Gaussian: I still want to see your method and explanation if you have time.

All: I don't know how I did this. I followed everyone's method the best I could and then took a try at it. How am I doing?

That looks pretty good :perfect:

My steps...ah find a decent background image,something sunny to go with his smile.Open the image from the board here convert to .tif.Make new layer,set to softlight pick red as background color,then start tracing around your friend using the standard lassoo,make any area encompassed hit Com delete and fill with red,carried on till I had a decent filled selection.Next used Com j/Cntrl j to copy using the selection I just made to a new layer.Copied your friend into the other open background,cropped to get a decent composition.I then used hue and sat readuced the saturation and replaced some with red neutrlaizing the yellow in the face,made new selections for the arms and red reduced the yellow as well.Next I used a levels adjustment layer and balanced the levels of both images and added a curves adjustment as well.Last but not least cleaned up the fringe around your friends outer and voila :)

Like I said I have lost quite a few friends over the years so I could maybe make the plaque for you in my 3D program if you like?,it will look pretty real and brass or whatever color you are looking for.

Your friend looks like a real fun guy.

Stu.

Gadgetgal, looking good. ;) The only problem I see is that you've introduced, overall, too much blue to the image.

My method: Image/Adjust/Replace Color. Working on a duplicate copy of the original, I zoom in on the "affected area" and using the eyedropper tool, consequtively with the ALT key, I click away in the affected area, making numerous selections. Then using the sliders, adjust the hue/saturation/brightness. ;) This way, no other "colors" in the image are affected.

The first image below shows the "before & after" version... this before doing any other "tweaking"...

Hi Gadgetgal,

Sorry to hear about your friend's passing. i know the feeling well.

Here is something I worked on kind of quickly.

Larry

Gidgetgal - here is a copy I did using Erik's method - have it full sized if you want

I can't believe the response you guys/gals have given me. I am very appreciative. I experimented with each of the methods presented late yesterday and learned something from each of them. I did end up too blue. Tonight I plan to revisit all the methods again and try again. My primary objective is to give the individual who is having a plaque made a nice photo to place on it. However, selfishly I want to learn how to do it myself. That is my second objective. I appreciate each of the offers to give me a completed file. These offers are very generous. Thank you. I may end up doing that but I want to try to learn, too. Again, thanks to each of you. I can't believe the response. I have been looking for a forum to help me learn more Photoshop. I have definitely found one. Talk to you soon.

Back