What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crash effect

Dumbo

I have a picture of a sidecar but want to change the picture so that it looks like it's crashed into a tree so showing lots of damage.
I've tried trawling the internet but can't find any tutorial that suits so can someone please give me a few pointers as to what I need to do, if it's at all possible.
Please bear in mind that I'm by no means a profi using Photoshop albeit I've been using it for years.
I'm now on Photoshop 2023 on a Mac..............

Thanks for any help

I don't know what your sidecar image looks like, so this is just a generic approach. You would need a decent proficiency in selections and layer masks. The basic approach is to find an image of a vehicle crash into a tree that is shot from a similar point of view, and with similar colors and lighting, to your sidecar image.

I started with these two images of a motorcycle/sidecar and a vehicle crash:

1692405952196.png

1692405983492.png

From here, you need to do a few things:
  • Adjust one or the other image so that the reds match.
  • Flip one of the images horizontally to create a mirror-image, so that both images are pointing in the same direction.
  • Combine the two images creatively using layer masks, so that the tree and mangled portion of the car blends into the original motorcycle image.
  • Lastly, I found an image of random metal debris that can be sprinkled around the crash site, as well as some shattered glass effects.

I didn't spend very much time on this, but here's the general idea.

1692406830383.png

Thanks Rich, that helps me a lot though I'll have to really search for a crash image with the colour of the sidecar but fine............
I'll post a picture of the sidecar later. I basically had to "rebuild" it as it was shown originally from the wheel side and I I needed to get rid of that.
Thanks again

Last edited:

Back