What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating a globe/ball/sphere out of words

lathera

Hi I am trying to create a globe/ball/sphere out of words like the attachment below. can someone please tell me the steps to it.. thank you so much in advance

Attachments

• sphere.jpg
    sphere.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 26
Here's a vid that will point you in the right direction. Text isn't used in this tutorial. Just put text in instead of an image.

Tip: When making the circular selection that will be the globe/orb. Make it around 800 pixels in diameter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXQwiwZe6cc

Easiest Way to produce this 1 of many

make a document that is exactly square so 500 pxs X 500 pxs or 1000 x 1000 etc

Type your words out as you want them in the center of the square dont go to the edges and then flatten the document.

with the circle marguee tool draw out a large even circle holding down shift and alt to draw from the center of the document.

when your circle is as large as it can be without going outside of the square go to filter > distort > spherize and boost the slider to 100%

then invert your selection and delete the outer parts that are not spherized and you will have a sphere shape now you will want to add shadows etc to make it look more realistic.

If you have 3d

Another option which would work would be to do the same but intstead of using filter > distort > spherize

go to 3d > new mesh from layer> mesh presets > sphere.

Here's my take on it....

You can use a pingpong ball or create a ball with added inner shadow with a light angle from above.

This was created in a 500px by 500px document at 72 dpi ( you can create it at a higher resolution.

Create your text body above the ball layer. Center justify the text. Make sure the MAIN word (HEALTH is at the center of the text body.

Duplicate the text layer and hide the original. Use this in case you don't like the look of what comes next.....

Position the copy above the ball layer.

Rasterize the text.

Use Spherize (Filter>Distort>Spherize) . This will be applied twice.... first at 100% and second at 70% . This will approximate the look in your HEALTH ball example. When done, use transform to rotate and fit the text into the ball.

When done, create a clipping group composed of the text and the ball (Hold down ALT + click click line between the 2 layers. You may need to use trasform to adjust the text. In my exaple, I had 2 ball layers - a ping pong ball (set at 35 % opacity and a ball I created. You don't have to do the same thing.

add a shadow under the ball..... your done ..

golf.jpg

TIP..... in your above example, you might have to do each line of text separately. This is so each text line can be of different text sizes (or at worse, each word separately) and can be nudged into place the way you want it. Just make sure the line with the main word is in the middle of the body.

Hope I didn't miss anything.... Enjoy.

Thanks to everyone as soon as I am done I will upload my final product.. Really appreciate you guys response

I am going to add this to special effects LINKS. It has been asked three times this week. The one difference with this is the spherize effect. Even though OPs could search it easily enough, it will save us some typing time by copying the post address and referring members to it. I'll get on that in a few hours.

Back