What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating interfaces for things such as winamp or Mediaplayer

G

Hi guys, its been so long since I've been here. I missed the forum so much. I've been getting a network degree. Now I'm back and ready to create.

My ? is, I see lots of great skins for win amp, windows media player. and so on and so on. What I'm curious is, how do all of the buttons and stuff work on the programs mentioned if all that has been created is a great graphic that would look good as a skin???

I hope I've made this clear. Great to be back!!!!
Rich

Hey glad to see you back Rich. :perfect:

Not sure 100% of what you're asking... but i think you're asking about the code that runs the given player app. Those skins just get fitted over the mechanics, not unlike Arnie's skin over his metallic Terminator skeleton. The 'inner workings' underneath the 'skin' run the program. That's why when you create a skin you have to follow a guideline skematic. Things need to be put in a specific place if there going to function properly.

So is that what you wanted to know? :B

To make a winamp 2 skin, you need the base pieces. Its a bunch of bitmaps which each one makes some part of the skin. There is a volume one which has 15 segments going down, which if put together makes a animation... thats what happens when you move the vonlume up/down. #2 skins are way easier than winamp 3 skins, but still very hard to make the skin look professional. I could detail everything for you, but it would take me weeks, since i would go further into detail than this official highy detailed section in winamp on how to make a winamp 2 skin: http://www.winamp.com/nsdn/winamp2x/dev/skins/;$sessionid$LKTZOVABKCERM5YAAAARC0I
Just go down the index on the list that has some of the following in iit:
Base Skin
Main Window
Equalizer
Playlist
Minibrowser

Read everything carefully.. you'll understand everyhitng at the end of that
now on the other hand, winamp 3 requires a lot of coding for making invisible areas in the skin. Win2 lets you do that... but you cans really shape it any way you want... it only stays in the rectangular region. heres winamp 3 how to skin: http://www.winamp.com/nsdn/winamp3x/skinning/;$sessionid$LKTZOVABKCERM5YAAAARC0I

Go from there, then tell me what you really meant
:D

Thanks Mark Tommy and Allistar.... Those tuts are great.
and Mark you hit right on the nose. That was my curiosity question. What allows it to happen and like you said its software driven behind the scenes.

Thanks guys

Rich

rworell said:
Thanks Mark Tommy and Allistar.... Those tuts are great.
and Mark you hit right on the nose. That was my curiosity question. What allows it to happen and like you said its software driven behind the scenes.

Thanks guys

Rich
Your welcome :) thanks mark and tommy :)

Back