What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crop tool

Thompsonjs

How do I keep a preset on the crop tool so I don't have to select the preset each time as I want to use the same crop preset for numerous images?

Input dimensions

croptool1.jpg

Save as preset

croptool2.jpg

Choose the preset anytime you need it. The preset will remain the same until you change it.

but I still have to select the preset each time? isn't there a setting to leave that preset up for the next image?

Hi, Thompsonjs. No you can't set it as default.

As mentioned by IamSam, The tool will remain that way even if you select other tools to use and reselect the crop tool later.

So its a good idea to save your size preference as a tool preset so when you fire up PS, you can select it before you do work.

Quickest way to select the crop tool .... hit the C Key.

Last edited:
Thompsonjs said:
isn't there a setting to leave that preset up for the next image?

Yes.
If you have 15 images open and you wish to crop them all at say 172 x 115. Create a preset and choose it. The Crop tool will remain in this preset until you change it, no matter how many images you crop.

If you are having to choose the preset every time, then you must be resetting the Tool somehow. Describe the steps your going through when you crop multiple images.

Yes but when I open a new image - do my corrections and crop then save it and close it I loose the preset for the next image I open

I just opened 6 photo's. I selected one photo and clicked (once) on a preset that I had made. I cropped, saved, and closed all six photos without ever having to touch the preset again!

I then tried the method you described. I opened one (1) photo at a time. I clicked (once) on a preset that I had made. I then cropped the photo, saved it, closed it................opened a new photo...........and I did not have to click the preset again!

The only thing I can come up with is if your hitting this:
Crop03.jpg
you will reset the Crop Tool back to Unconstrained.

If your not hitting the button above, please, describe exactly what your doing (in the crop mode) in great detail as in step by step (with screenshots if possible). You have to be doing something that's causing you to loose your preset.

Thompsonjs said:
It seems to be the majic wand tool that deletes the preset?
How did you determine this? Please describe, in detail, how this happens.

I tested this idea just now. The preset for the crop tool stays the same until you change it. The Magic wand tool does not affect the settings for the Crop Tool.

I'm really trying to help you here, I'm sorry if I sound short, it's not intentional. Your simply not giving me much to go on. I've asked you twice now to describe in detail your cropping technique.

Short of a program malfunction and/or operator error, you should not be having the problem your describing.

I am taking a photo - opening in cs6 - rotating 175 degree's ccw - burning and dodging - zooming and using clone tool -then using majic wand to select background -then deleting background - cropping 250 x 462 @72 - using guides to keep images in same place or as close as I can at this point - using unsharp - and saving as a png

the crop tool will not keep the preset after I do the majic wand

Me said:
Describe the steps your going through when you crop multiple images.
Me said:
describe exactly what your doing (in the crop mode) in great detail as in step by step

OK, please describe the "cropping" technique only.

Also, just an observation from your description above. You crop after you use the magic wand tool. So, this should not affect the preset. So I'm thinking that what your saying is that your description is perhaps the second photo and you have already previously chosen a preset for the crop tool. I just tested this idea and the crop tool retains it's previous preset setting from one photo to the next even after I use the magic wand tool to remove a background.

It's something your doing during the crop of the current photo that resets the preset for the next photo.

I am taking the picture -opening in PS - rotating - dodging and burning - using clone tool - useing majic wand to delet background - cropping to 250 x 462 @72 - unsharp mask and saving as a PNG - then I start over taking another picture and so on
I seem to loose the preset on the crop tool after I use the majic wand tool

Thompsonjs,

I'm very sorry that I could not help you out. If you are truly having this problem, I wanted to help you figure it out.

Again, as has happened in the past, we seem to have a communication problem and as with all communication, it takes both parties to accomplish or fail. So I will own my part.

For what it's worth, when I ask you to describe your cropping technique only, I meant only the steps you take when you have the Crop Tool selected..........nothing else.

Yes I have a communication problem as I am under the gun to produce a couple of thousand png images and I apologize for not being specific enough -I'll try to post the cropping procedure later today - although I loose the crop preset after I use the majic wand tool - this could just be a bug with this PS installation

Back