What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS3 Crop Tool

RonB

After selecting an area to be cropped and I click on the "Enter" key, the whole pictures is wiped out. If I select the Rectangle tool and pick an area to be cropped and click Image>crop the cropped area is removed and the required picture remains.

Can anyone please tell me how to cure this problem so that the crop tool works properly?

RonB

Hey Ron, the characteristics that you describe for the crop tool is how it's supposed to work. The rectangle tool is used for creating shapes and is not usually used for creating selections. If your looking to create a selection and place it on a new layer, the Rectangular Marquis Tool would be the best choice. This will preserve the integrity of the original image.

Select your Rectangular Marquis Tool.
Make a selection around the area you desire.
Hit the Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the selected area to a new layer.

You can also use the Rectangular Marquis Tool to make a selection.
Then add a layer mask that will mask the area not selected, while maintaining the integrity of the original.

Hey Ron, the characteristics that you describe for the crop tool is how it's supposed to work. The rectangle tool is used for creating shapes and is not usually used for creating selections. If your looking to create a selection and place it on a new layer, the Rectangular Marquis Tool would be the best choice. This will preserve the integrity of the original image.Select your Rectangular Marquis Tool.Make a selection around the area you desire.Hit the Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the selected area to a new layer.You can also use the Rectangular Marquis Tool to make a selection.Then add a layer mask that will mask the area not selected, while maintaining the integrity of the original.

Thanks for that Sam. I will put your advice to good use. But tell me please what is the crop tool used for then?

I have to type painfully slow, is it like this all the time or is there another setting to speed things up when composing a post?

Kind regards,
RonB

Thanks for that Sam. I will put your advice to good use. But tell me please what is the crop tool used for then?
The crop tool serves two main purposes. The first is to crop, which means to cut out an area of an image by selecting the area that you wish to keep. It's also used for resizing images. The two functions can also be used at the same time to crop and resize a photo.

RonB said:
I have to type painfully slow, is it like this all the time or is there another setting to speed things up when composing a post?
Not sure what you mean. Please describe the problem your having.

...Can anyone please tell me how to cure this problem so that the crop tool works properly?...
I've tried this on my CS3 version and the 'Crop' tool works just as it should.

If you could post your exact workflow it may help to pin down why the 'Crop' tool isn't working for you....it may be that cropping isn't possible in the current workspace state.

Regards.
MrTom.

I have been trying to reply normally but still cannot open the full page, been waiting for 40ins!. I have been trying to select the outer part of a picture which I d not want to show but when I click on the Return button e whole picture is deleted?

I am now typing my normal speand this is the resls I m getting. Thereearsto be a lt on our web ste??? The little bluie wheel is still spinnianI sll cannot get on the to]he main paeto make aproper reply??

Regrds

RonB

The little circle is still spinning around the "Reply" and I still cannot use the main page.. I could at least get int the pge earlier this afternoon but ot at all now. I have MrTom's message on my creen about 15 times!!!" Something wron somewhere??

RonB

You may never get to read this but in case you do is this just a problem with PSG?

Do you have a problem with any other site?

Regards.
MrTom.

No only this site at the moment. I am not sure what PSG isorry to say7. I have done a full Norton scan and all is well at this end. I have to go for dinner now so will try to get back to you in about an hour.

Cheers
RonB

Ah.....Norton.....

Norton AV is notorious for 'taking over' your PC.

Without trying to scare you it can be the root of many PC 'problems'.

The site, PSG (PhotoShop Gurus), has had problems recently although not to the degree you are experiencing.
I can't help any further on site issues, sorry, but a member of staff should have more details on any current problems.

There are more knowledgeable members here that will have a better alternative I'm sure but if it were me I'd uninstall Norton....but that's just MY personal preference.

You can find lots of 'thoughts' on Norton if you search for it......and not many people have a good word to say about it I'm afraid.

Even if uninstalling it doesn't cure the PSG problem it'll certainly make your PC run better.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Regards.
MrTom.

@RonB....

I believe your experiencing what I coined as the forum's "Witching Hour" ..... :cheesygrin: It's erratic and sometimes experienced by everyone at the same time or at certain locations. This will eventually clear up for you.....

The site have been experiencing connection and system problems these past weeks. But everything is being done to trace the possible cause in hope to permanently fix the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience everyone.....

Ah.....Norton.....

Norton AV is notorious for 'taking over' your PC.

Without trying to scare you it can be the root of many PC 'problems'.

The site, PSG (PhotoShop Gurus), has had problems recently although not to the degree you are experiencing.
I can't help any further on site issues, sorry, but a member of staff should have more details on any current problems.

There are more knowledgeable members here that will have a better alternative I'm sure but if it were me I'd uninstall Norton....but that's just MY personal preference.

You can find lots of 'thoughts' on Norton if you search for it......and not many people have a good word to say about it I'm afraid.

Even if uninstalling it doesn't cure the PSG problem it'll certainly make your PC run better.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Regards.
MrTom.

Thanks for that Mr Tom, I don't know what it was but it seems a lot better now thank goodness. Getting back to the crop tool, I normally draw a line with the tool around the outside of the picture I am working on the click on the enter key an that which was black is removed and the rest of the picture is left behind. Now, if I do that, when I click the enter key the whole picture Is deleted. Any idea why please? My work load on CS3 is very low

Thanks for that Mr Tom, I don't know what it was but it seems a lot better now thank goodness. Getting back to the crop tool, I normally draw a line with the tool around the outside of the picture I am working on the click on the enter key an that which was black is removed and the rest of the picture is left behind. Now, if I do that, when I click the enter key the whole picture Is deleted. Any idea why please? My work load on CS3 is very low

Could you please upload a screen grab of the image document with the crop box positioned in the image as you described . Don't commit the crop (Press Enter)....

OK, thank you. I have just done a full scan and no poroblems were found. I also did one with SuperAntiSpy and that was clear too. I am hoping to get a resolution to my Crop tool problem.

Regards

RonB

As requested see attached. If I clicked on the Enter, the whole picture would have been deleted. the selection was done with the crop tool.
Cheers

RonB

Attachments

• Crop-ToolA.jpg
    Crop-ToolA.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 3
That's weird..... unless I'm missing something among the tool settings.....

Do you see the Check Mark in the Menu? That's the commit change button. Use that and see if it works out.

If not, try resetting the crop tool... right click on the crop tool icon in the Menu controls (left most icon) and click Reset.....

Then try it on your image again.....

Why is the screen shot so small? Can't make out the tools option bar.

Show us what happens when you click on enter.

Also....this appears to be a dng file....how did you open it in Photoshop......from Camera Raw?

One other thing, along the same lines as Mr.dv8, BEFORE making your selection but still with the crop tool selected do you have a 'Clear' button on the menu bar?

crop_clear.png

It does more or less the same thing as resetting the tool but you never know, it may do some good.

A full-size screen grab would, as mentioned, be much more useful......we could at least read it then. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrTom.

PS.
Crop working in CS3 Extended.....are you doing it like this? (Click the 'youtube' logo for larger format)

Last edited:
Thanks MrT. (My speakers must not be working..............couldn't hear the voice-over.)

Does CS3 have the delete cropped pixels option?

Back