What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS3 question

RALF

Equipment:
Mac Mini (2014) 1tb 8gb ram Sierra 10.12.6
Mac Pro 1.1 (1) 1tb w/Snow Leopard, 10.6.3
16gb ram (1) 1tb w/Snow Leopard, 10.6.8

I am retired and on a fixed SS income. I’ve been using Photoshop CS3 and After Effects CS4 since purchased back in 2006/or 7, can’t remember. Bought the Mini in 2018 with Yosemite and was able to load CS3 after downloading Adobe’s last ditch replacement. Loaded AE CS4 without any problems. Was still able to use both on the Mac Pro, until recently. AE CS4 works but CS3 only works in the 30 day temp mode, and only on the 10.6.3 drive. Can no longer load CS3 on the Mini, probably due to my OS upgrade in 2019. However, I can still use AE CS4.

I can, kind of, understand Adobe’s retirement of servers for older software in favor of the monthly-money-making rental which many others have done.

What I would like to know is if there is some code someplace on the disk which can be ‘deleted’ thereby allowing the continued use of CS3. I have deleted the cache file from the PCD folder without results. So far AE CS4 hums right along.

I’m probably chasing windmills again but, so far, I’ve managed to catch a few.

Thank You.

HI @RALF
The article in this link might provide some perspective: https://blog.conradchavez.com/2016/06/16/macos-10-12-sierra-will-adobe-software-work/

Usually its safer to run the software for which it has been tested to work and beyond that, its driving without seat belts.
Hope the info in the link helps.

Thank you for your reply. Just hoping against hope it would work out on the Mac Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.3. The link did not sound promising.
Thanks again.

I too am retired and on SS and had a similiar problem, albeit with CS5. I had to downgrade to High Sierra in order to run CS5.1.
Too bad...

I too am retired and on SS and had a similiar problem, albeit with CS5. I had to downgrade to High Sierra in order to run CS5.1.
Too bad...

Hi PM,
Mind sharing how you were able to do it? My CS3 used to work with Sierra on my Mini as well as Snow Leopard on the Mac Pro. Now, neither work.

Hi Ralf. I went from Catalina to High Sierra, but I assume the process would work for Sierra if that was the original operating system that came installed on your computer. I followed a YouTube video showing how to downgrade from Catalina to HS. It was very good and the instructions are slow, clear and concise. Which works great for us old guys!
It does require a clean install which will necessitate that all your files and data be erased. Make sure you have an EXTERNAL BACKUP before you do anything! Here's the link to the video:
. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss offline. Good Luck!
John

Hey Ralf. Sorry so late with a response................crazy busy on my end!

My CS3 used to work with Sierra on my Mini as well as Snow Leopard on the Mac Pro. Now, neither work.
If CS3 was working with the above mentioned OS versions and computers and now it's not, I don't know that downgrading to a previous OS will solve the issue...........it might. If CS3 was working and now it's dropping into a trial mode, then something else is going on.

CS3 would have been a box version. Do you still have the serial/product key for your CS3? If so, it's not accepting it?

Hey Ralf. Sorry so late with a response................crazy busy on my end!

If CS3 was working with the above mentioned OS versions and computers and now it's not, I don't know that downgrading to a previous OS will solve the issue...........it might. If CS3 was working and now it's dropping into a trial mode, then something else is going on.

CS3 would have been a box version. Do you still have the serial/product key for your CS3? If so, it's not accepting it?

Hi IAMSAM,
Yes, I have the original box. Have not uninstalled yet on the Mac Pro. Uninstalled long ago on the Mini. I have a feeling someone, somewhere knows which zeros and ones to delete or rearrange in order for it to make it work. This is not a new issue. Been fighting ever since 2018 when Adobe shut down the 'alternate' servers. My Mini crashed back then and I lost the info. Starting to try once more. My motto: KEEP ON KEEPIN ON!
Thanks.

I realize you mentioned this, but I just read where the CS3 activation servers are completely gone and the activation free installers are no longer supported. You may be beating the proverbial dead horse here! LOL!!

Hi Ralf. I went from Catalina to High Sierra, but I assume the process would work for Sierra if that was the original operating system that came installed on your computer. I followed a YouTube video showing how to downgrade from Catalina to HS. It was very good and the instructions are slow, clear and concise. Which works great for us old guys!
It does require a clean install which will necessitate that all your files and data be erased. Make sure you have an EXTERNAL BACKUP before you do anything! Here's the link to the video:
. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss offline. Good Luck!
John

Howdy PM,
Thanks but don't think going back will do the trick. If I can't get it to work with Snow Leopard on the Mac Pro, going back to Catalina on the Mini won't work either.
Had a chuckle from the Adobe forum when I posted that meme. They thought I was praising CS3 for its long and glorious history by comparing it to the pyramids...

I realize you mentioned this, but I just read where the CS3 activation servers are completely gone and the activation free installers are no longer supported. You may be beating the proverbial dead horse here! LOL!!

lr.jpg

Hi ho Silver and away! Tanto and Scout not far behind! (Showing my age here!)

I do not recommend using any OS below Mojave online, as Apple is no longer providing security fixes and there are exploits in the wild that could affect your computer. And at $10/month, Creative Cloud is actually a pretty good deal.

I do not recommend using any OS below Mojave online, as Apple is no longer providing security fixes and there are exploits in the wild that could affect your computer.
II agree, somewhat!

And at $10/month, Creative Cloud is actually a pretty good deal.
I also agree. However, the OP's older macs may not be able to run the latest Ps version. I'm running Mac OS 10.13.6 on a older iMac (I do get security updates though!). The latest CC version is very unstable and crashes a lot with this machine so I'm sticking with CC2019 as it's rock solid and runs without a hitch. I will eventually upgrade everything soon.

Back