What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS4 photoshop -- invisible photos! (changed behaviour)

Serena Steuart

Suddenly I'm getting this behaviour:
Uninistall/re-install of the Ps module in CS4 changed nothing, presumably because the parameters are held in a separate file.
Normally when a picture is opened its file name is in a box at top left with the image showing on the "desk". click on that and drag and the frame appears with the image, which becomes transparent while being dragged. Release mouse and there is the photo within a frame (if it is smaller than the desk). Now the picture can be dragged around the desk in solid form.
Now, on my i7 editing machine when opened no picture appears but there is the file name as normal. Click that and drag and everything behaves as normal, but when let go the frame remains but it is empty. Click the top of the of the frame and drag and the picture is there and solid as normal. Let go the mouse and the frame becomes empty.
I've compared the menus of the fresh installation on the laptop with that on the i7 machine and they are identical.
If I use the cursor to extract a segment from the image the cursor disappears (so I'm guessing about what is being extracted) but copy paste functions correctly other than the new image behaves exactly as described (invisible).
My system is:
Windows Version:7 64-bit
RAM:16GB

Processor:Intel i7-2600K 3.4GHz
Video Card:nvidia gtx 560 Ti

Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe
Video Capture:VIA OHCI compliant IEEE1394
CD Burner:Pioneer BDR-206BK
DVD Burner:Pioneer BDR-206BK
Camera:Sony XDCAM EX1 & Sony HDR-FX1E
Add. Comments:RAM 16GB 2 TB RAID 1 array for working data, 120GB SSD system software, various 250GB/500GB HDD, HP

The nvidia driver is up to date. I'm wondering whether an update as caused this problem.

Ah, I see the little emocon thing! Don't use them, obviously!

Might be worth adding that the PSD file opens quite normally on another installation, so I'm looking for pointers about what system issues can cause the observed behaviour in Ps.

Back