What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS5 has major problems on a new Dell XPS tower

oldserverguy

My daughter has an 8 year old Win 7 that she uses as a professional photo editor. It needed an upgrade as that didn't happen during the free Microsoft process and she needed a replacement backup system as her very old one was not usable anymore.

The old system is Dell XPS 435T, Win 7 Pro, Intel Core i7 920 (4 cores), 1 TB mechanical SATA hard drive, 12GB of RAM and AMD Radeon R5 200 video card.

The new system is Dell XPS 8930, Win 10 Pro, Intel i7-9700 (8 cores), 500 GB SSD, 2 TB mechanical SATA drive which has the O/S for some reason, 16GB of RAM and Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 video card. Reused her Dell U3011 monitor which is 2560x1600.

She uses the CS5 suite and wanted that on her new PC so I installed that rather than the costly "Cloud". There are performance issues and some parts are actually slower than with the old system. Even worse we were unable to get the blacks to display properly under any settings which made the product unusable.

I have no idea why the O/S and software drive is the SATA.

Is the problem just CS5 on Win 10? What's with the monitor issue? Would CS6 have made a difference?

Rich54

Guru
I am running CS5 on a Win10 computer and I've had no problems. I'm old and fairly illiterate about computer specs, but I bought a Dell XPS 8900 with 16 GB of RAM three or four years ago (running Win10) and everything is just fine.

oldserverguy

Gave up and are sending it back to Dell. I'm going to find something locally and get it all tested. I also managed to get a Dell U3011 monitor so I can actually test against a replica of hers. Thanks for the help. Over and out on this.