What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS5 - Win 7 vs. Win 10 with mid-range CPU, SSD and good video card

oldserverguy

I just got back from the local system builders location about having them build a system for CS5 with a high res monitor. The principal is insistent that Win 7 will be absolutely significantly faster then current Win 10 and that I'm "crazy" to want Win 10. Thoughts?

The principal is insistent that Win 7 will be absolutely significantly faster then current Win 10
That is just plain wrong, and bad advice. Windows 10 runs lighter and faster.

If he means the interface and that it will be faster for you to find and do things because of they way Windows 7 is laid out, just get Classic Shell (for Classic Start Menu) and then you have what is close to the Windows 7 experience on Windows 10.

Microsoft has been trying to end-of-life Windows 7 and discontinue support for it. They will eventually do it. See here:

Thanks. I've got 3 Win 10 desktop tops and 3 Win 10 laptops that were all upgrades from Win 7. Day to-to-day use that are plenty fast but I'm not doing paid Photoshop work - they don't seem to be any slower than when they were Win 7 - but I don't really have hard data. I'm bench marking using Keith Simonian action just to see how things go and have some reference. I'm going to get a Xeon system out of storage and give it a try.

You probably won't see much difference in Win 7 vs Win 10 for Photoshop tasks if the hardware is the same. There are other reason to go with Win 10, mainly that it is supported by Microsoft and gets all the latest security fixes and updates.

After analysis decided on a fresh install of CS5 on a Win 10 PC (use Win 7 compatibility and install as administrator). Tested on a old machine and that worked fine. Found a Dell XPS 8910 with i7-6700, 16GB, 2TB HDD and Win 10 Pro for $335. Going to migrate the O/S to a 1TB Samsung EVO 870 and use the HDD just for file storage. Only drawback is it has a GeForce GTX 750 Ti video card so I'll need something mid-range to replace that. Perhaps a GeForce 1650 to drive her 2560x1600 Dell U3011 monitor (budget but OK?).

Thanks for comments. Trying to get this off Dad to-do list.

Back