What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ctrl+D Problems

gemindian

Hi everbody,

When i press Ctrl+D in ps6 to change my background and foreground
to black and white it does the white part right but it gives a combination 75+45+35+100 to give black and each time i have to change manually to get black .

pls help, thank in advance.

and my second problem is as u see in the image how many of us face this problem,ofcourse one solution to the problem is yell at ur boss
telling him ur inconvenience or leave your neverchanging boss and find another is it not.

theKeeper

Guru
Can't help ya with your 2nd problem, but the first one's very simple.

Just tap the D key alone. Not Ctrl+D.

The D key resets the default swatch colours.
And tapping the X key will reverse them for you.

:B

Erik

Guru
Indeed: Ctrl+D deselects.
D resets and X inverts

You can also click on the white and black squares down left of your fore and bg color on the tools palette. This also sets to black and white.
If this doesn't give you black, try to do the same in RGB mode. Black should be 0,0,0 there. If it isn't then there might be something with your prefs file (always a good culprit. must have been invented by mr S. Hussein). Just delete it and make a new one. Then when it's new, make a copy of it and keep that somewhere safe. This saves you having to reset all of them prefs when it's gone down the drain once again. :B

tranquil222

Power User
and my second problem is as u see in the image how many of us face this problem,ofcourse one solution to the problem is yell at ur boss
telling him ur inconvenience or leave your neverchanging boss and find another is it not.
Why would you yell at your boss? [innocent] [innocent] Sure, a lot of us want to, but a lot of us want to eat at the dinner table every night too. }P }P %} And if your boss is neverchanging after you yell at them, then they must put up with a lot of crap! :\ ;)

markzebra

A CMYK "black" should never be completely black on all channels ? this is because it would overload the print, an 100,100,100,100 black would be unprintable and cause ink spread and overload.

You should be editing always in RGB anyway - its only older guys (pre Photoshop 3 or 4, from a printing background) who still think that editing in CMYK is a good idea, and even now most of those people have seen the light.

Rantin Al

Guru
Just accept the numbers for the default black, it works! ;)

If you look at the RGB values in the Colour Picker you will see that it reads 0.0.0. and the CKYK gives % readings for the other channels.

The technical reasons for this, :B , is that in theory Black should be able to be made up of 100% C, 100% M & 100% Y. A sort of compliment to the RGB structure of how colour is displayed on screen.

Unfortunately, due to unavoidable impurities in the pigments used in printing, the 100% CMY mix cannot pruduce a 'Pure Black'. Instead it gives a dirty muddy grey.

A 100% Black ink by itself gives an undesirable flatness in the shadow areas and a mucky grey blend into the colour area.

The cure for this is to use a CMYK mix to enrich the shadow areas and create a smooth transition into the colour area.
(I have a test swatch which I'll try and find, illustrates it easier.)

Could some of you guys check the default values for CMYK in the Colour Picker. I'm getting different values?? PS 7, Adobe RGB. (Although I have Colour Management off at the moment. Just did a major clear out and I'm still working through the prefs.)

Al.

Rantin Al

Guru
Found it quicker than I thought! What an organizer! :D

OK, this set of swatches shows:

Blends from Black only to various colurs. CMYK.
Blends from Black only to various colurs RGB.
Blends from CMYK Black to various colours.

You can see the dirty grey transition midway in the first column, and the smooth (required) transition in the last.

This was a problem I got landed with for a print job for Coca Cola.
They had supplied the artwork, but the colours just wouldn't blend.
I won a coconut after figuring out and proving that they had not used a CMYK Black.

Al.

Erik

Guru
Impressive. This is what I like a lot: practical experience!

May I add that CMYK are basically used for screened work?
And that pure black would mean that the screen, here white dots on a black background (description of what one sees), would be completely filled, leaving only black? This is not what is wanted. Same goes for white, where the black dots on the white background would disappear?
And that the thickness ond fluidity of the ink makes it fill the surrounding space a bit, so that small white dots get smaller, and small black ones (in the whiter parts) get bigger?

If you have a scanner, you can try and print RGB 0,0,0 / 255,0,0 etc till 255,255,255 and put these under your scanner. You can easily measure in Photoshop what colours are scanned... This gives you an idea, if you're not a print pro, what you can actually do with your printer. More on that subject later...

markzebra

Al ?

The reason your getting different values for CMYK readings in PS 6 and 7 is nothing to do with your RGB setup. Its got to be the CMYK settings that are different. Make sure the profiles, conversion methods and ink colors are the same in each.

It always does an "on the fly" conversion whilst your still working in RGB, and the projected cmyk values are based on your CMYK profile specified in your Colour settings.

You probably knew all that anyway ;)

Really nice illustration and description there too

Rantin Al

Guru
MZ, I was just comparing the figures quoted by Gemindian and what I had showing in the Picker.

The real differences in the blends show up when looking at the individual channels.
I had a heck of a time trying to explain the reasons to the boss with blend graphs, colour ramps, ink density etc..
Eventually I just printed the d*** thing and asked which he preferred. :B

Al.

markzebra

And let me guess - he said "yeah, I like the one with all the washed out colour in the middle - its cool" - always the way

;)