What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Gradients Question?

ljiljana

Guru
I was testing Custom Gradients that I made. When I apply the Gradient I have to correct levels. Is this a common thing?

Below are the examples:

Not usually Lily, no.

What are the 2 colours you're using? Check that both have the same levels as they're showing "after" the gradient is applied.

Also... test out the gradient with a more common style, like Linear. See if the same happens. If not, i'd guess it's an issue with that style of gradient you're using.

I've never had this issue myself. :B

Mark Thanks.

I test also default PS gradients, and custom gradients that I downloaded from the net, and on most of them I had to correct levels. \:]
And I used liner gradient.

BTW: I like the gradient color better without correcting levels. :)

Make sure to double check the seradient that it's not set to some funky blending mode or lower opacity. Check this at the top in the info bar (I'm not refering to the layer's opacity of blending mode, but the tool).

It could also be a color mode issue, but check the settings first, it's pretty common. :)

What this histogram shows is that the lightest hues, going to pure white, are not in the gradient.
It is very bizarre that with the gradient you show you have full black...
In fact: most gradients do not contain pure black unless you added it as one of the basic hues.

When, with any gradient in RGB you adjust the sliders of the R,G and B channels with levels (dragging to the extremity of the gradient, evt holding Alt to get a preview of what you do) you end up with a black to white gradient. Be it with gaps that are bigger the lighter your original hues were. Which is why 16 bit is superior.

This dragging to the extremities is a well-known technique to get rid of colour hues in scans. Best do it scanned and manipulated in 16 bit mode. PS7 allows levels and curves in 16 bit.

Back