What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Texture Brush?

Alistair

Guru
I know that you can paintbucket patterns and from what I last remembered, you could do the same thing with the paintbrush, but in CS2 I can't quite figure it out. Basically, what I want to do, is be able to use the paintbrush to paint my own textures. I would like to select a textural area of a pictures, create a texture from that, and then paint it where ever. I hope this makes sense. I'm sure there has to be a way to accomplish this.

Any ways?

Chow

8))

- Al

Alistair said:
Basically, what I want to do, is be able to use the paintbrush to paint my own textures.? I would like to select a textural area of a pictures, create a texture from that, and then paint it where ever.? I hope this makes sense.? I'm sure there has to be a way to accomplish this.?

Al, check step 1 of this tutorial I wrote a while back:

http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut021.htm

Do understand these brushes are limited and are basically only a greyscale image with transparency.

There is no way to have color and 0% transparency? That's disappointing, I thought PS was capable of doing something that simple.
I could use it really bad.

- Al

There is no way to have color and 0% transparency?
No and yes. There are several channels of transparency information. If you use the Eraser tool to bring opacity down to 0%, then the colour information gets tossed (this is the 'hidden' transparency channel). If you use a Layer Mask to bring opacity down, the colour information is retained.

Stroker said:
If you use a Layer Mask to bring opacity down, the colour information is retained.

And how would I do that? I meant to have it 100% visible with no opacity.

- Al

Alistair said:
There is no way to have color and 0% transparency?? That's disappointing, I thought PS was capable of doing something that simple.

You could consider cloning using proper settings or using the healing brush set to pattern. I know, it's a poor workaround, but the best one I can think of right now.

But using these default brushes is not always as bad as it may seem. This rope for example was made using a single brush and some additional work, so with a bit of imagination and experimenting you can come a long way.

And how would I do that? I meant to have it 100% visible with no opacity.
Layer Mask. You know, Layer Mask.
One of the buttons at the bottom of the Layers palette will add a Layer Mask. When you click it, you get an extra thumbnail next to the layer that is automatically linked with a little chain symbol. Then you use greyscale on it to manipulate opacity of the layer.

You know, a Layer Mask.

Back