What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cut in Half

darthkir

Hi,

How do I split/cut/divide my work in 2? I have an image which i want to split into 2. Is there an easy/auto way to do this accurately?

Thanks.

MindBender

Guru
Copy half to a new document and crop the original document in half? Not sure what you're going for here.

darthkir

MindBender said:
Copy half to a new document and crop the original document in half? Not sure what you're going for here.

I want to split it into 2 documents now. If I crop manually I am afraid it wont be precise.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Duplicate the image and use the Image\Canvas Size on each one of them. Make sure that you start with an image with an even number of pixels for height or width (depending on whether you want to cut horizontally or vertically).

Let's say an image is 200pixels wide and you want to cut it vertically, then the first image needs to be 100pixels wide with the anchor arrow at 9 o'clock and the other one needs to be 100 pixels wide too, but with the anchor arrow at 3 o'clock.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Mind you, you don't have to duplicate if you don't want to, you can also do it for one half, save it and then press Ctrl+Z to undo. ;)

darthkir

Thanks a lot. I have tried this and it works like i wanted to.

BTW, is there any way to visually indicate this on the document so that I will know exactly where it will cut. Some sort of grid or something.

Thanks.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
darthkir said:
BTW, is there any way to visually indicate this on the document so that I will know exactly where it will cut. Some sort of grid or something.

View / New Guide... and then enter for position 50% and select vertical or horizontal.
Do understand that 50% is not exatcly 50% if you try to cut an odd number of pixels in two pieces. For example 301 with 50% will results in 150 and 151 pixels.

Of course you can use this to slice your images in two equal parts too. It shows again how many ways there are in Photoshop to do a single thing, which is also the beauty of this program. ;)

MindBender

Guru
Gaussian said:
Do understand that 50% is not exatcly 50% if you try to cut an odd number of pixels in two pieces. For example 301 with 50% will results in 150 and 151 pixels.

But then... that's true of any method you use. You can't subdivide a pixel on a graphics program by definition. ;)

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
MindBender said:
But then... that's true of any method you use. You can't subdivide a pixel on a graphics program by definition.
Oh really? :shocked: