What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutout filter

G

Cutout filter
a) set foreground to black, background to white

b) while holding shift key, create a linear gradient (foreground to background), from the outer left side all the way to the right (make sure that dither is turned OFF) ( pic #1 )

c) add filter / artistic / cutout (8, 0, 3) (pic #2)

d) add filter / distort / spherize mode "horizontal only" (to adjust spacing) (pic #3) To make it easier for you to see what you are doing, zoom out in the preview window

Experiment by using other gradients, effects and blends.
Step d. can be left out if you one feels like it.

G

Sample of the cutout filter

First one is a combination of the cutout filter and the gradients trick.
Second one is a cutout version of a shot, blended with the original.

Good Stuff G thanks, would it be possibe for you to post the original pic of the girl? so I can better understand what you did. I don't think I need a tut, I just want to see where you started. Thanks again. You are a real asset to this board. Our secret weapon I think.

Joy

Erik

Guru
Gaussian, you can't beleive how glad I am that you posted these two threads. The first word that entered my mind was: "Finally!".

Pure creativity.
Wow.
:perfect:

G

Thanks guys, I just love playing with Photoshop, I can't help it :D

JOY, you asked for the original; here it is:

G

And maybe I go a bit off-topic now, but here's another example of using a copy of the orignal file, apply colored pencil filter and change blend mode to screen.

Blend modes....I LOVE THEM! :rofl: :rofl:

Gauss

Thanks G I'm gonna try to get the same results. Very much fun.
Joy:)

Gauss

Oops you just posted the blended mode picture. Wow -very good results.

Why don't you make a challenge using filters (any combination) to enhance that photograph? It would be a good one to use for obvious reasons.

I would make the challenge but since its your picture.
Joy

Tron

Guru
Here is one more of the same girls
This one has two layers
Bottom layer used the Chalk and Charcoal filter
Top layer set to overlay and 42% opacity, so some of the coulor will show

G

Well done Rick and trust me; the more you play with blends, the more you're going to appreciate them ;)

G

One extra thing. If you want to try out some blends, there is an easy way to do that. Just select the blend mode and make sure that the content of the box showing the blend mode is blue. Next, you can use the arrow up/down keys to scroll through the blends. But be aware; every new blend that you try out is a new history step ;)