What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DesignerCandies

Adam McIntyre

So, please don't shoot me down for self promotion - and yes this is self promotion - but I have some seriously good resources for all you Photoshoppers.

It's a while since I've been here, which only amplifies the rudeness of me turning up to promote myself, but please give it a minute to decide for yourselves.

I just set up a new website full of free resources for designers.

No ads, no affiliate links, no email optin to download files, no "Facebook Like or Tweet to download" - it's a total honest side project with the purpose of fuelling designer creativity.

So much so, I decided to release everything into the public domain - so the freebies have no license. You can use them for whatever you want, wherever you want.

Please let me know what you think: http://designercandies.net

And also see the license "Uncopyright" details here: http://designercandies.net/uncopyright/

I guess since moving from the UK to Thailand I have become a lot more Zen about license restrictions and realise they only hurt the design world, not help it flourish.

If the mods think this is a dishonest thread, please kill the links or delete, I am just taking any opportunity I know to get word out.

I think I ought to rejoin this community too!

Thanks everyone, please let me know if you have any feedback :)

Adam

btw, the Uncopyright license means you can really do anything. You can download the files from my server and reupload them to here without needing to credit DesignerCandies :)

ibclare

Queen Bee
Adam, the website looks good. My question is this: since you don't believe in copyrights, are these other people's works? Are these your own originals or those of people who work with you?

Adam McIntyre

Adam, the website looks good. My question is this: since you don't believe in copyrights, are these other people's works? Are these your own originals or those of people who work with you?

It's not that I don't believe in copyrights, I just think that giving content away for free and then limiting it's use consequently limits creativity, especially when those who disrespect free resources like these will do so whether they're copyrighted or not - so why penalise and restrict the honest people?

These resources are created by myself and designers I work with. DesignerCandies will post 100% original, in-house created content.

I operate a design website where I've grown a team of inhouse designers. When they create unique content for our design projects that can also be shared on Dcandies, it will be - and when they have nothing else to do, they will create something for Dcandies.

Rest assured we are not sharing any "illegal" content, it's all home grown goodness :)

Paul

Former Member
So what's in it for you and your in house crew, if you don't mind me asking - nothing that's free is usually never totally free you see.

Adam McIntyre

So what's in it for you and your in house crew, if you don't mind me asking - nothing that's free is usually never totally free you see.

We already have a thriving business and we produce a lot of content that often goes unused, so we may as well share it.

Maybe in the future we'll release a product, or put ads on site, or promote affiliate products - who knows.

But right now it's a completely free lunch. I/we have enough money coming in already, I now live in thailand where meals are a dollar a pop - we're just focussing on doing something cool for the community.

What I can tell you for sure is the stuff that is being given away free will always be free and that will never change. Once it's been published, it's public domain.

Adam McIntyre

Just to make that public domain point: because it's published into the public domain, if DesignerCandies was to ever disappear (let's say it gets so popular we can't afford the server bill)

because the content is public domain, it means anyone can upload it to their own website. So the chances are, if DesignerCandies takes off, the content will always be available somewhere, being shared by someone and being used within the community.

Hell you can create a page here on PSG and reup the freebies the moment they're published - there are no restrictions.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Got it Adam, thanks for the clarification. I think it looks good. I admit I haven't checked them out yet, but the colorful pages are very pleasing -- eye candy!