What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desirable resolution for the web

Chapapa

Hi guys what is the best resolution do you use when uploading images on the net to avoid grabbing/stealing of photos? (ex. on facebook, flickr etc)

The resolution in ppi or dpi makes absolutely no difference for web posting. The important thing is pixel dimensions. I'm comfortable posting images that don't exceed 700 pixels in either dimension. IMHO, this is large enough to look reasonably good on the screen, but small enough so that if anyone tries to print it larger than 4x6 inches, it will intentionally look grubby.

If you are really concerned about a particular image, watermark it.

Tom M

The resolution in ppi or dpi makes absolutely no difference for web posting. The important thing is pixel dimensions. I'm comfortable posting images that don't exceed 700 pixels in either dimension. IMHO, this is large enough to look reasonably good on the screen, but small enough so that if anyone tries to print it larger than 4x6 inches, it will intentionally look grubby.

If you are really concerned about a particular image, watermark it.

Tom M

sorry for that, what I meant was dimensions. hehe! Is 800 x 600 ok for the web?

800x600 is very close to my 700px limit. I doubt it would make any difference.

It's really a judgement call. It all depends on what sort of problems and unauthorized uses you want to protect against.

For example, if you have some high rez landscapes that you want to advertise, nobody in their right mind is going to try to steal your image and print knock-off 16x20's or posters from even a 1200px wide advertisement. OTOH, if you are specializing in making tiny buttons, avitars and such, and are worried about people "appropriating" them, even something as small as 200 px on a side would clearly be asking for trouble.

If you are worried about people stealing your cell phone / instagram pix, (a) will there be any economic loss to you if they do; and (b) just plaster your name and a copyright sign over the image as a watermark and, if done correctly, someone will have to go through a lot of trouble to remove it, so they will likely find lower-hanging fruit to go after.

BTW, sometimes having (a) happen isn't all that bad. If you are just starting out, having your pix spread around without you having to do any work to make this happen can be a very good thing for your reputation as a photographer / PS artist.

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:
800x600 is very close to my 700px limit. I doubt it would make any difference.

It's really a judgement call. It all depends on what sort of problems and unauthorized uses you want to protect against.

For example, if you have some high rez landscapes that you want to advertise, nobody in their right mind is going to try to steal your image and print knock-off 16x20's or posters from even a 1200px wide advertisement. OTOH, if you are specializing in making tiny buttons, avitars and such, and are worried about people "appropriating" them, even something as small as 200 px on a side would clearly be asking for trouble.

If you are worried about people stealing your cell phone / instagram pix, (a) will there be any economic loss to you if they do; and (b) just plaster your name and a copyright sign over the image as a watermark and, if done correctly, someone will have to go through a lot of trouble to remove it, so they will likely find lower-hanging fruit to go after.

BTW, sometimes having (a) happen isn't all that bad. If you are just starting out, having your pix spread around without you having to do any work to make this happen can be a very good thing for your reputation as a photographer / PS artist.

HTH,

Tom M

noted sir! thank you for the advice. :) I guess I'll just have to leave this problem behind

You're quite welcome.

BTW, we are pumping up our photography section. The announcement will be made in the next day or two.

For fun, why don't you post a few of your images there.

Tom

You're quite welcome.

BTW, we are pumping up our photography section. The announcement will be made in the next day or two.

For fun, why don't you post a few of your images there.

Tom

I will, I'll just have to finish my remaining school works :)

Back